CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Southern Carribean Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/381254-southern-carribean-cruises.html)

ArabianHorseLover March 17th, 2011 11:34 AM

Southern Carribean Cruises

Hi. I have been avoiding taking a cruise to the Southern Carribean because most of them go out of San Juan. I have thought that it would cost me so much more for airfare to have to fly to San Juan and back from there.

Is that true? How much more would it really cost me?

Lakers Fan March 17th, 2011 11:45 AM

It probably would but if you are into more ports and less sea its the only way to go.

Moiraine March 17th, 2011 11:45 AM

I would suggest that you go on someplace like cheapair.com and find out.

There are some Southern Caribbean cruises that are from Miami if you look hard enough. I am booked on the Norwegian Sun late next year for a ten day Southern Caribbean round trip Miami.

I hope that you can find one RT from Miami or find some cheap airfare.

Trip March 17th, 2011 11:57 AM

There can be some good fares to SJ, but you really have to to research flights....if you found good air, then you could book a cruise for that time frame.

I happen to love the deep Caribbean, but in reality, it's probably easier to cruise from Florida as Moraine said...

ArabianHorseLover March 17th, 2011 12:06 PM

Actually, I prefer less ports and more sea days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1360122)
It probably would but if you are into more ports and less sea its the only way to go.

fun2cruiz March 17th, 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover (Post 1360133)
Actually, I prefer less ports and more sea days.

Southern Caribbean is going to be more port intense....you may want to reconsider this itinerary. Air to SJU can be pricey, but alot depends on where you are flying from and the time of year you wish to travel.

Best of luck in your cruise research

Trip March 17th, 2011 12:17 PM

A sea day at the beginning, or the last day, is all you get....:(

ArabianHorseLover March 17th, 2011 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Personally, I think the cruise lines should offer more cruises that are less port-intensive. I guess most people like it that way, though. I just find it too stressful.

fun2cruiz March 17th, 2011 12:50 PM

Choose a 10 night or longer sailing and you can get a couple extra sea days usually !

Moiraine March 17th, 2011 12:56 PM

My ten night will have five ports of call. I like the thought of having some sea days.

ArabianHorseLover March 17th, 2011 12:59 PM

Sea days are so much more relaxing, and they give you a chance to explore and use the ship.

fun2cruiz March 17th, 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover (Post 1360157)
Sea days are so much more relaxing, and they give you a chance to explore and use the ship.

Its not like you are in port 24hrs...usually 8 hours at best...still plenty of time to enjoy the ship and you don't have to get off the ship while in a port. While others are out and about in the ports, stay onboard and enjoy the lesser crowds !

nlb1050 March 17th, 2011 01:18 PM

We have been on 3 Southern Caribbean cruises all out of Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale, They were a 12, an 11 and a 10 night cruise. All had really just enough sea/port days.

ArabianHorseLover March 17th, 2011 01:33 PM

But that's the trouble. I would feel bad not getting off if it's someplace I haven't been before. However, the short time you are in port is not enough time to really explore the place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1360163)
Its not like you are in port 24hrs...usually 8 hours at best...still plenty of time to enjoy the ship and you don't have to get off the ship while in a port. While others are out and about in the ports, stay onboard and enjoy the lesser crowds !

fun2cruiz March 17th, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover (Post 1360171)
But that's the trouble. I would feel bad not getting off if it's someplace I haven't been before. However, the short time you are in port is not enough time to really explore the place.

Well it seems that basically the itineraires out there just in general do not appeal to you for one reason or another.....can't have your cake and eat it too I guess ! Perhaps to find a port that really appeals to you and try an AI resort in the future.... now that is relaxation ....

ArabianHorseLover March 17th, 2011 02:24 PM

Actually, there is one that does appeal to me - the cruises to Bermuda that sail there and spend three nights and sail back. There should be more cruises like that to other ports.

fun2cruiz March 17th, 2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover (Post 1360195)
Actually, there is one that does appeal to me - the cruises to Bermuda that sail there and spend three nights and sail back. There should be more cruises like that to other ports.

Given that you were specifically inquiring abut the "Southern Caribbean"....thats the responses you received.... Now if you are thinking Bermuda...thats a whole different gameplan regarding days at sea !

Decisions...Decisions...where to vacation next !

Skipper's Mom March 17th, 2011 04:23 PM

We've done two Southern Caribbean cruises on Holland America, both 10 days. The second included a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Take a look at their itineraries and see if anything strikes your fancy. Both cruises left from Fort Lauderdale which is an easy drive for us.

ArabianHorseLover March 18th, 2011 07:42 AM

The Southern Carribean was just one of the places I was considering. I had been looking at Bermuda all along because of the itinerary.

Donna March 18th, 2011 08:44 AM

Have you checked the airfare to San Juan?? Yes, it is pricey, but once cruising out of San Juan, it is almost an island a day, well worth the extra in traveling expense. You have to decide if you want to see a few islands during the cruise or just one to Bermuda? Have you considered an Eastern or Western for a few stops instead of just one?

ArabianHorseLover March 18th, 2011 09:16 AM

I have seen some other islands on my three previous cruises, so am very happy to just see Bermuda this time. The Bermuda itinerary appeals to me very much. Less stressful, and more time to explore the island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1360386)
Have you checked the airfare to San Juan?? Yes, it is pricey, but once cruising out of San Juan, it is almost an island a day, well worth the extra in traveling expense. You have to decide if you want to see a few islands during the cruise or just one to Bermuda? Have you considered an Eastern or Western for a few stops instead of just one?