CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Fuel surcharges (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/381308-fuel-surcharges.html)

Dhill March 19th, 2011 11:23 AM

Fuel surcharges

Can the cruise line put fuel surcharges into effect at any time even after the cruise has already started?:)

worthew8 March 19th, 2011 11:51 AM

Not sure. My guess applying a fuel charge after the ship has sailed would make for some very unhappy passengers.

I know Princess reserves the right to apply them after final payment. Again, applying after payment makes passengers unhappy.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

AF1 March 19th, 2011 10:09 PM

I believe that once you've made final payment you are good to go. They can add surcharge before final payment. Same applies to airlines. If you book your ticket, and the airlines says that it will begin putting fuel surcharge on future tickets; you won't be charged; because you've already bought your ticket.

Dhill March 19th, 2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF1 (Post 1360871)
I believe that once you've made final payment you are good to go. They can add surcharge before final payment. Same applies to airlines. If you book your ticket, and the airlines says that it will begin putting fuel surcharge on future tickets; you won't be charged; because you've already bought your ticket.

In these days of fast rising fuel prices that might be an argument for booking early!:)

worthew8 March 20th, 2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF1 (Post 1360871)

On Princess website:

Top Stories : Princess Cruises

In my contract for next cruise on Princess:

Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full. ćAir Fare and Air Government Fees and Taxes are subject to change until final payment. Due to the volatility of air prices, please be advised that all air prices are subject to change and not guaranteed until full payment.

CA Cruiser March 20th, 2011 10:57 AM

Sorry AF1, we just booked with PCL yesterday and they said exactly what worthew8 posted. I asked if this is decided in quarterly increments and they said no, they said it can happen up until the day of the cruise.

Dhill March 20th, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Cruiser (Post 1360964)
Sorry AF1, we just booked with PCL yesterday and they said exactly what worthew8 posted. I asked if this is decided in quarterly increments and they said no, they said it can happen up until the day of the cruise.

Well we have 5 days to go hope they dont implement it until then. Actually I hope it doesnt happen at all.:)

Dhill March 20th, 2011 11:17 AM

A thought just ran thru my head. If your cruise is already paid for how would they work that out if they implemented the fuel surcharge? Would they put it on your ship board accunt?:|

Fern March 20th, 2011 05:52 PM

Yes, they can charge the surcharge anytime. I don't know what it would do for Public Relations if they waited until the cruise started!

I think they would just add it to your shipboard account, just like tips are added.

The charges, I think, depend on when and for how long they bought their fuel. If they locked in a price say, until July, then you (and we!) should be okay. If it's only locked in until tomorrow... :shock:. At least I think that's how it works!

AF1 March 21st, 2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Cruiser (Post 1360964)

Teresa and Peg, thank you for bringing me up to date on current ship policies. I guess if u want to cruise, you may have to pay the surcharge; or how about we end the middle east crisis and bring oil prices back down.

Paul Motter March 21st, 2011 11:01 AM

The background on this story is that the first time the cruise lines imposed fuel surcharges in 2008 they did made the requirement to pay retroactive - even to people who had already paid in full.

Those people brought and won several class action lawsuits saying they were not adequately warned plus had been advised they were already paid in full.

So - this time the cruise line have already pre-warned everyone that the fuel surcharges could come about at any time with no warning. If you are fully paid and they decide to impose the curcharge and you don't pay you could lose your cruise.

AF1 March 21st, 2011 12:26 PM

Thank you Paul for clarification on this matter.

TravelMike March 26th, 2011 05:39 PM

I believe most of the cruise lines buy fuel futures and lock in pricing for a long period of time. If this gas price thing last more than six Months I could see fuel surcharges in the future. The economy is not that great, and I am sure cruise lines don't want to scare off customer. If fuel pricing starts to impact profits then surcharges will start. Needless to say I could be wrong, and they start tomorrow but I would be surprised. Mike