Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Familiar Face

Default Birth Certificate - Worries about in not getting here in time

Ok so cruise is June 19th (honeymoon). I sent off for my passport about 5 weeks ago and received confirmation they got it (state of CA) and it should be received within 10 weeks of when I sent it off. I have about 9 weeks left and getting a little worried (possibly for no reason) it might not get here in time.

My situation is a little complicated as I was adopted, so I can only get it through the state, not where I was born and not where I was adopted.

Are there any other suggestions for back up plans for just in case I don't get it?

Any ways to get a passport with other docs possibly, I really hate to have something so critical looming over my head that could ruin our honeymoon.

There is no counter or physical place I can go into to check on the birth certificate as Sacramento did away with this years ago. Everytime I call (at least ten times a day) I get the we can not take your call right now please try again later (too many people calling in).

Any suggestions would be great and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I thought there was a web-site for checking on the status of your passport, I'd give that a try. You must have already filled out the application, along with your birth certificate and 2 photos, right?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Familiar Face

I'm such a dummy, I wrote passport but meant birth certificate, that is what I'm waiting and worried about not a passport. Sorry for the confusion
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I wish I could asuage your anxiety, but I will say, the wait for them, is not that long...you could have chosen & paid for it to be expedited, but I still think you will get it.

Several yrs back, when there were changes in regulations, there was a huge back up, but, you should be ok, with this time frame.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

OP... you still have quite a bit of time before starting to panic...... I just hope that when booking the cruise you booked with the proper name that ties in with your soon to be BC and DL/Photo ID. And if you are thinking of getting a passport now, you have to have the BC first. If you choose to go that route (which I would not suggest this late in the game), you would probably want to do an expedited passport.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

While you are waiting on the BC, you can print out the passport application and have that all filled out, along with 2 passport photos and be ready to go to the passport office, usually in some post offices and get that going. I don't believe the wait will be that long, as long as we don't have this shut down they are talking about, will know by Saturday..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you everyone for your assurance. I'm usually good at not worrying about things I can not control but once in a while I can't help it

I did book it in my Maiden name so that my ID and BC will match my travel docs.

Unfortunately with Sacramento I couldn't find anything about paying extra to expedite it and since there is no physical location to go to and a phone number that is always too busy to take calls I had to go by what the website said.

At least I did get a confirmation post card in the mail but I have not been able to locate anything online to check on the progress.

As a couple of you said I have plenty of time so not to worry yet.

Thanks again, I just don't want anything to screw up my really exciting vacation
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok ......never mind

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Admiral

I think that Donna has the best idea, have your passport application all filled out, ready to go, and when you get your BC, apply for your passport, mainly because heaven forbid what happens if you need to get home in a hurry from a foreign port, won't happen unless you have a passport
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only thing is "IF" and I repeat "IF" there is a government shutdown then no passport applications, other than true emergencies, will be processed. On a local radio show a "government" person said that for each day the passport office is shutdown it will add one week to the process.

Personally, I think that is more propaganda than reality but there will be a delay in processing.

Take care and I hope your birth certificate arrives in a short time.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

My daughter sent off to Sacremento for her birth certificate. It took her four weeks to get it; she lives in Cincinnati. Good Luck.

ps. she did this in Jan.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Familiar Face

Just wanted to updtae my question and I did receive my Birth Certificate..it took a total of about or 6 weeks so I am very happy that now I have nothing to worry about. Thanks again everyone!
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

You are most welcome. I love these boards; because they help the common man; people who are new to cruising, and people who just never thougtht about certain things; this forum brings it back to basic simple question and answer. Thank you everyone who participates in these forums. You have answered so many of my questions; and most likely will answer a lot more.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Admiral

GReat, glad the BC arrived and now you can apply for the passport, you should be OK with time...Be advised, they take the BC's along with the application and pics, but send them back with the completed passport. Now, as long as there is no government shutdown, they should continue to process passports.

Now, just let us know when you get the passports....

Message Boards Moderator