Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

Default Help me please!!!

I went on my 5th Carnival cruise on Feb 23. I paid Carnival $75 each for two "bottom fishing" shore excursions out of Port Lucaya. A total of 20 people went on this fishing trip. The boat's Captain took us right outside the port and dropped anchor in 35 ft. of water. The rods and reels that my buddy and I were given were totally unusable (reels were broken) so we had to get two others. More than an hour later NO ONE on the boat had caught ANYTHING! I went up to the wheelhouse and asked the Captain if we could move to another location. He informed me that his electric anchor winch had been stolen the week before, so it was too much trouble for his teenage mate to reset the anchor. An hour later the Captain told us it he had to cut our trip short (by two hours), as he had to take out another party offshore. Still, no one had caught a single fish during the trip.
I contacted Carnival's shore excursion department when I got home, and asked that they call me. Several weeks later I received an e-mail saying they didn't make outgoing calls, but gave me a phone number. I called them, was given a case number, and told them I was requesting a refund for the two shore excursions. THIRTY-ONE minutes later the agent came back on the phone and said my request had been denied. She told me I should have complained to the charter Captain after the trip. I told her that was not appropriate, as I had paid CARNIVAL for the trip, not the charter company.
She then researched that particular excursion and found that no other passenger had complained. I asked her, "What about me? Doesn't my complaint count?" She then gave me a supervisor's name and said the supervisor would call me as soon as she was not busy. That was two weeks ago and I have not heard anything more from Carnival. I guess the supervisor is just hoping I'll go away, now that they have my money.
I am a USCG licensed charter fishing captain myself. I take people fishing for a living, and I know a rip-off artist when I see him. This man could not have cared less if his passengers caught anything, his equipment and boat were not in working order, and he actually had the audacity to ask for tips as we headed in from our abbreviated trip.
Can you please help me with this situation? I feel like the little guy who is just ignored by the big corporate giant. I feel like my refund request is very legitimate, and I was never rude with the Carnival people when discussing this problem.
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Familiar Face

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't know how much help we can give except to tell you to keep working with Carnival to get some sort of resolution. Find out the Supervisors name and talk with him/her. Go farther up the ladder if you need to. Write a letter to the shore excursion department and let them know what you experienced. It is always best to have it in writing and not just verbal communication. Going in "two hours" early is worth a full or partial refund.

I will say, for the benefit of other readers, that if you feel your ship's shore excursion did not deliver what was promised you should go directly to the Shore Excursions desk and let them know and request a refund. Do not wait until you get home.

Take care and the best of luck in obtaining a refund.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Captain

CaptainJim,

You made one major error.
You purchased a FISHING excursion.
You should have purchased a CATCHING excursion.
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

All you can do now is contact CCL's guest service dept., or send letters regarding your dissatisfaction of the shore excursion. Lesson learned will be that it is best to go to the shore excursion desk while still on the cruise to explain what occured and your dissatisfaction.....not after returning from the cruise.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Fishing excursion

Several years ago we had an excursion in Morocco that we had to hear the entire bus trip how great Islam was and Islamic women loved it..We were rushed through the destination to an overpriced tourist shop.. What we did was complain IMMEDIATELY to the Excursion Desk where we received refunds.. The secret is to do it as you are onboard. I doubt if you will receive any satisfaction from Carnival. Keep a record of your letters and complaints though..
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Familiar Face

Default What's happened since...

A few days ago I received a "courtesy call" (as the caller called it) from Carnival. I asked if my request for a refund was still denied. Yes it was. So what was the reason for the weeks-late "courtesy call?" I was baffled.
Never in a million years did I expect that Carnival would do ANYTHING other than give me a refund. I did explain to the caller that I am through with Carnival, period, after 25 cruises.
I've sent HUNDREDS of people on cruises, organized many group cruises, first cruises, family cruises. People listen to me about cruising, and they generally take my advice on the subject. So if Carnival is determined to keep my $150, then I will do my level-best to forever sing the praises of Royal Caribbean and all their other competitors. I will use whatever influence I may have to divert the cruise $$$ to other cruise companies. Bye-bye Carnival. Do I sound bitter? I suppose I am. But it's being ignored and insulted that mostly irks me. I could reach anyone at Carnival anytime if I was booking a cruise, but I can't even get a callback now.
On a higher note - Carnival sold off Windstar in 2007, so I can still sail with them! (Windstar is the absolute ultimate for me.)
I thank you all for your comments. And thanks for letting me vent.
CaptJim
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jim,
I totally understand your frustration in dealing with this issue, and for the small amount of $150 that Carnival is refusing to refund to you, could and may as well cost them thousands in future bookings. Too bad, the peoples in customer service don't see the whole picture here. At this point, let it be a lesson learned and if there is ever a problem on any ship, notify them ASAP and get it resolved right then and there. It is just too bad, to be treated this way with your past history with Carnival....Keep us posted if you should hear from them again and good luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

We are only hearing your side of the issue, but if it went down exactly as you say then Carnival 'screwed up' big time as far as guest relations are concerned.

Perhaps your complaints at least made them look at this contractor again. Do they still offer this excursion?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.