Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default I've asked this before ,but

I am leaving on a cruise 2 weeks from tomorrow .To date only one person beside myself has posted on the Meet and Greet for this trip .On another cruise site there are more than 30 who have posted (I've been told) .It was the same with my last cruise .

To Paul M ,etc ,why in your opinion is there such a small M&G response ?

Its not just the cruises I take ,its the CM M&G in general .
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Henry

Another approach may be to go the other web-site's meet 'n greet and ask them.

Annie
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The simple answer is that we don't have the volume. Also in the beginning they had (and still have) a deal with one of the major cruise lines to host the roll call threads. Over time it grew from there (in house) to include all the cruise lines. I was first a member there when it was only a Macintosh and AOL thing. Way back. They will always be strong in the roll call area; however, IMHO Facebook may become the roll call site of the future.

I like it here as Cruisemates is really much more independent in it's reporting. Paul and Kuki do a very good job with their articles and they have no hidden agenda. Also straight shooters & good guys.

I like to think that we have a more knowledgeable group of regulars here too.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
The simple answer is that we don't have the volume. Also in the beginning they had (and still have) a deal with one of the major cruise lines to host the roll call threads. Over time it grew from there (in house) to include all the cruise lines. I was first a member there when it was only a Macintosh and AOL thing. Way back. They will always be strong in the roll call area; however, IMHO Facebook may become the roll call site of the future.

I like it here as Cruisemates is really much more independent in it's reporting. Paul and Kuki do a very good job with their articles and they have no hidden agenda. Also straight shooters & good guys.

I like to think that we have a more knowledgeable group of regulars here too.

I think you are correct re Facebook but there are some of us who are not members of Facebook but again I don't go to meet and greets either

Annie
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Admiral

In my somewhat cynical experience I have found that a great many of those who SAY they are going...don't, & in fact quite a few aren't even on the ship.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

quick answer to the OP question is simply that CM is a much smaller group than the other site.

FWIW... many times there may be a very active M & G on any cruise board, but when it comes time for the actual M & G onboard.... usually less than 1/2 show up !

Many folks are quick to post on boards as they are anonymyous, but when it comes to an actual face to face meeting.... they are "lurkers" at best !

Go have a great cruise and meet some new folks and make some new friends, then send them to CM if they are not members yet so this community will keep growing !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
quick answer to the OP question is simply that CM is a much smaller group than the other site.

FWIW... many times there may be a very active M & G on any cruise board, but when it comes time for the actual M & G onboard.... usually less than 1/2 show up !

Many folks are quick to post on boards as they are anonymyous, but when it comes to an actual face to face meeting.... they are "lurkers" at best !

Go have a great cruise and meet some new folks and make some new friends, then send them to CM if they are not members yet so this community will keep growing !
I went to a M&G on my last cruise .There were 51 in attendance and 48 are registered with CM .

Re someone who said CM is a smaller site than the other one ,in actuality 7 of the cruise message boards appear to be smaller than CM .
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

not all M & G's will have great attendance, nor poor....it will vary per event.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I hope things have changed at these functions, because, many years ago, I think I attended the very first one they had, & it was hostless. Somehow, I became the hostess! This was pre CM. Even the cruise staff was wondering what do do..Also the venue was from hunger;(

Some people never moved from a chair to say hello, and it was a dud.

I agree that forming a chat pre cruise sets the wheels in motion with many ideas, excursions and cruise hints tossed around. Once you board and the cruise gets going, often the timing of the meet is not condusive to getting together, as you thought. There are other things you want to do,and, it all becomes an, oh well.

Henry, as CM grows, people finding us, and joining the community, we can show great results. Word of mouth is great advertising.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; July 2nd, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Admiral

I am told on P&O that the CD will often host the meeting, but I have never been to one.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's some history to this whole topic. The Meet and Greets were an idea first proposed to RCI by CruiseMates.

Some "deal" took place along the way, as RCI went with CC, and not only that they were exclusive to CC, and for some time RCI did not even advertise on CM after they made their deal.

It wasn't until some changes in management at RCI's internet management dept. that I personally met with the dept. in Miami, to ask what their reason or purpose would be in ignoring the members from other cruise sites.

At any rate, by that time the M&Gs were firmly entrenched within CC, and that "reputation" spread across other cruise lines. These days I believe those meet and greets are the engine responsible for driving most of the activity on their message boards.

It's actually kind of funny, because way back ,when I was working for CC, which was only on AOL, they wanted nothing to do with a prescence on the www. And that was why Anne and Paul started CruiseMates... and they invited me to "move in with them".

These days we may be second... but we try harder! And you'll find much less "noise" on our message boards.

Last edited by Kuki; July 4th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Thank you Kuki for your answer. I enjoy the friendly atmosphere on CM website.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
There's some history to this whole topic. The Meet and Greets were an idea first proposed to RCI by CruiseMates.

Some "deal" took place along the way, as RCI went with CC, and not only that they were exclusive to CC, and for some time RCI did not even advertise on CM after they made their deal.

It wasn't until some changes in management at RCI's internet management dept. that I personally met with the dept. in Miami, to ask what their reason or purpose would be in ignoring the members from other cruise sites.

At any rate, by that time the M&Gs were firmly entrenched within CC, and that "reputation" spread across other cruise lines. These days I believe those meet and greets are the engine responsible for driving most of the activity on their message boards.

It's actually kind of funny, because way back ,when I was working for CC, which was only on AOL, they wanted nothing to do with a prescence on the www. And that was why Anne and Paul started CruiseMates... and they invited me to "move in with them".

These days we may be second... but we try harder! And you'll find much less "noise" on our message boards.
Not only is there much less noise, CruiseMates is, IMHO, much better organized and easier to navigate than CC. I also agree with Snoozeman's comments about Facebook. Unless I'm mistaken, the age range on here seems to be a bit older than on CC, and I'm guessing that "Facebooking" is more common with people under age 45 and not so much with those that are a bit more mature. I'm glad there is a "Meet on Board" section . I just wish more people would post on it, regardless of age or how many times they've cruised before. I wonder how many first-timers come on this website seeking information, then post on CC for a Meet & Greet.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Default M&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTALLEN View Post
Not only is there much less noise, CruiseMates is, IMHO, much better organized and easier to navigate than CC. I also agree with Snoozeman's comments about Facebook. Unless I'm mistaken, the age range on here seems to be a bit older than on CC, and I'm guessing that "Facebooking" is more common with people under age 45 and not so much with those that are a bit more mature. I'm glad there is a "Meet on Board" section . I just wish more people would post on it, regardless of age or how many times they've cruised before. I wonder how many first-timers come on this website seeking information, then post on CC for a Meet & Greet.
My original post was just to state there is not an active M&G on this site .There are 9 (at least) cruise message boards .I've visited all of them but chose to stay with CM .
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
My original post was just to state there is not an active M&G on this site .There are 9 (at least) cruise message boards .I've visited all of them but chose to stay with CM .

As far as this web site's M & G not being active, I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Yes ,I agree but on my last cruise 90% of those who attended were registered on CM .