Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Admiral

Default Rain on cruise

I am leaving Saturday for a cruise, all my ports show thunderstorms will the ship be diverted to other islands? Has anyone had a cruise where it rained the whole time? I can't imagine having all out door excursions such as going to the beach in the rain yuck, or having to stay below decks on the ship the whole time.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Admiral

They often say there will be rain but it is seldom continous rain. I doubt if they will divert except for safety reasons. We were in the Caribbean for a 28 night cruise this year & it rained most days at one point or another....still hot though.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We have been fortunate in our almost 20 years of cruising. Once it rained in St Thomas for a few minutes, then stopped which is normal in the tropics. But, in Grand Cayman it stormed all day,and badly. We were going to gett off, but as we made our way to the gangplank, we saw people looking like drowned rats, and had 2nd thoughts

Go to the dollar store and buy the plastic ponchos,and a small travel umbrella, and if you don't get the downpour that we did, get off, and enjoy.

It would be unusual for a ship not to dock, due to this type of scenario.

Have a great cruise!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise it rained at every port ,however,that did not deter us from having a winderful vacation.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Admiral

more often than not it will just be a quick passing storm. Very doubtful that the Captain would divert because of a thunderstorm, they are so common, the storm would have to be really severe for that to happen, more likely he would wait it out at sea and then head into port. Get yourself one of those fold up cheapo ponchos at the dollar store.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Familiar Face

One of my favorite Caribbean beach memories is of a rainy day. I can't remember which island it was, but, we tendered, then took a little local boat to the beach. I was with my late husband, his daughter and her husband. We put our stuff under a tree (didn't take the good cameras) and spent the rest of the day laughing. We practically had the beach to ourselves! The bar owner let us have lounge chairs and gave us a break on the food and rum punch - of which we were drinking many We swam, talked and had a really great time - it never rained too hard, just a fairly steady mist.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

That sounds like a bummer that it rained. Although you cannot predict the weather. It just makes it a little difficult to do things outside when it is drizzling or even misting. Hope the rest of the trip was okay.
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Familiar Face

Trip that sounds like the last time we went to Grand Caymen---we were drowned after we got back to the ship and we laughed all the way back after our unbrella almost carried me off the dock with the strong winds that we were having. We just walked to the stores and turned and came back and went to the upper deck and chilled out after we changed clothes. You may have been on the same one we were on. Just take it with a grain of salt and enjoy no matter what.
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Admiral

I'm happy to report it only rained one day on my cruise, the day we were in Costa Maya, we went inland to the ruins of Kolinich it rained all day, I toughed it out in my Teva sandals and poncho with umbrella in tow, but the ruins were worth it. Wish I brought a towel to dry off with though.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Rainy day in Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artrina View Post
One of my favorite Caribbean beach memories is of a rainy day. I can't remember which island it was, but, we tendered, then took a little local boat to the beach. I was with my late husband, his daughter and her husband. We put our stuff under a tree (didn't take the good cameras) and spent the rest of the day laughing. We practically had the beach to ourselves! The bar owner let us have lounge chairs and gave us a break on the food and rum punch - of which we were drinking many We swam, talked and had a really great time - it never rained too hard, just a fairly steady mist.
We had a similar experience in Costa Rica in 1987. The ship excursion took us to a beach near Limon after the requisite visit to a banana plantation. On arrival at the beach, it was raining a steady light drizzle. Most on the bus just sat there and complained about it. Finally, I said to my DH, let's go! We got off and proceeded to park ourselves on the beach (we were going to get wet anyway). Finally, one by one the others came off the bus. We had a wonderful day in the water and enjoyed a BBQ lunch with musical entertainment. The ship staff thanked us profusely for getting the guests off the bus and onto the beach, or it would have been a bust!