Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cruising after a hurricane

Hi, I am just wondering what a regular cruisemates opinion on sailing after a hurricane.,
My wife and I leave on Carnival Dream in two days. Thats just as/after Irene is leaving the area and sadly seems to be going to the Carolinas.

I am not so concerned about safety so much as seasickness, weather and the quality of the trip. I am thinking about using our cancellation insurance and doin a last minute to vegas.

What do you think, can you still have fun on a cruise after a hurricane? Are the waters going to be really bad?

Gino
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't even go to the Caribbean between August & October never mind sail around in it!
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I wouldn't even go to the Caribbean between August & October never mind sail around in it!
Hurricane season is actually June thru Nov.

I've cruised many times during hurrricane season. Pricing is normally pretty good, and come Sept, Oct, Nov not too many kids onboard.

Once the hurricane has passed, you won't notice much of the remnants of it, while at sea.

If you are sailing an itinerary that is visiting an island the hurricane hit, that could affect what is available to you on that island for services, sites, etc.

Unless the hurricane is affecting your port of departure, you may not even notice that a hurricane had been in the area.

The cruise lines also change their itineraries very quickly depending on the cirumstances of the hurricane. Ships move faster than hurricanes, so they make certain they are not putting their ships or passengers in danger.

You're also much safer on a ship at sea during a hurricane than on land in the path of a hurricane.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

seas could be rougher than normal after Irene has passed, but the further you get away from her and her previous path, things should calm down quite a bit. As for the ports of call you will be visiting, that could be another story !

Better make sure your trip insurance covers you if you elect to cancel though. Some policies let you cancel for any reason, but not all. And to cancel now because you are afraid you may not have a good time due to the hurricane passing would fall under a cancel for any reason allowance in your policy.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Admiral

If your ports of call were in the path of Irene and they were severely damaged,you could be diverted to another port or have an extra day at sea. Once the hurricane has passed thru the area, the seas will be fine, no unusual roughness
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanez View Post
Hi, I am just wondering what a regular cruisemates opinion on sailing after a hurricane.,
My wife and I leave on Carnival Dream in two days. Thats just as/after Irene is leaving the area and sadly seems to be going to the Carolinas.

I am not so concerned about safety so much as seasickness, weather and the quality of the trip. I am thinking about using our cancellation insurance and doin a last minute to vegas.

What do you think, can you still have fun on a cruise after a hurricane? Are the waters going to be really bad?

Gino
How could you NOT have a good time? Don't know if you are going east or west Caribbean. West hasn't even been affected. If east, not all ammenities on shore may not be up and running as they are cleaning up, but it's STILL a cruise. Bring your dramamine or whatever if you really think you'll need it. The Dream is certainly not a small ship and it's new.
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Familiar Face

We hit Cozumel the day after Hurricane Emily did in 2005. And the people were so happy to see us. I want to say it was a Cat 5 when it hit them and all in all they weathered it pretty good. Not sure if they were especially attentive to us because of that or not. We've always had great service and such there. They did cancel Jamaica on that cruise so we did have an extra day @ sea. The most disappointing part for us was Jamaica being cancelled but that wasn't that big of a deal. Like I said the people were great and we enjoyed ourselves. Oh one of the big pluses was alot of cruise ships did cancel that stop so it wasn't as crowded as it has been on some of our other cruises.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I have found that the calmest seas I have encountered have been immediately following a hurricane. Several times.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.