Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Best cruise for FOOD?

Which one is THE BEST CRUISE for food? Quality of FOOD especialy desserts ARE THE MAIN FACTOR to make final decision! I don't cruise since 1997 so i'm a little bit lost and want to enjoy this cruise EATING LIKE CRAZY!!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

food is so subjective to opinion...and could vary from sailing to sailing and cheerleader to cheerleader !

For the most part mass market cruiselines i.e. RCI, Princess, NCL, CCL, Celebrity, HAL, will not differ alot when it comes to food....it basically is "convention food" when you really look at it at the regular dining venues included in your cruise package. That being said, the alternative dining on many cruiselines/ship for additional fee's will serve a higher quality product and perhaps a better dining ambiance, but be prepared for a $25.00 and up, per person fee to experience that.

Now if you want to go with high end cruising, thats a different topic but again food is so subjective as to who is the best and who has the best !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Admiral

I would say Celebrity.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
First Mate

I've read Crystal is the top of the food game. I'd love to test that premise.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I've read Crystal is the top of the food game. I'd love to test that premise.
Should be at the prices they charge!! Out of my league.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Food is subjective but my personal preferences are: Celebrity for overall food quality on a mass market ship. They have great specialty restaurants.

NCL's specialty restaurants are excellent but are an additional charge and their MDR food can be hit or miss. Add $100 to your cruise budget and you will not regret it.

Carnival is overall pretty good and their steakhouses are excellent.

Royal Caribbeans MDR food is the lowest on my list but their specialty restaurants and the restaurants on Allure and Oasis of the Seas have exceptional food quality.

Oceania has Jaques Pepin as their consultant and though I haven't sailed Oceania in years I've heard it is quite good.

Take care and Bon Appetite,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Familiar Face

In my experience (3 cruises) and my wife's (Carnival, Princess 2x, Holland America) we thus far have found Holland America Line to be the best by the slightest margin as far as main dining room fare is concerned. (Although personally I'll say that Princess has a very slight advantage in the dessert margin... that chocolatey Princess Loveboat thing is out of this world!)

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We ate in the Steakhouse and the Cucina del Capitano on the Carnival Magic, and, on the Celebrity Eclipse's, the Tuscan Grille and Murano's

These alternative venues, were excellent, and, so worth the extra cost.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 4th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Admiral

I have only been on three cruise lines; Costa, RCI, and Regent. Of those three, Regent is by far best. It is not just the quality of ingredients, it is the quality of the preparation. When you are only cooking for 700 or less guests, it is a lot easier. All cruiselines with their specialty restaurants with their dedicated kitchen and provisioning; can match the luxury lines on a smaller scale. Still, one thing I really love about Regent is the ability to special order. I can request, a day in advance, to have Steak Tartare for 8 prepared tableside. I can request foie gras every night if I so desire (had it five nights in a row last cruise). It is experimenting with the various exotic foods and matching them to good wines. If you really like food, make the dive and try a luxury cruise. If you like to drink with your food, try one of the all inclusive luxury cruises. I hear Oceania has great food but they don't let you special order; something I would miss.

Bottom line; food is subjective; YMMV.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Admiral

I have been on only three cruise lines.

The food and the service in the dining room has allways been excellent on Celebrity.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Familiar Face

We have been on Carnival twice, Norwegian & Royal, and will be sailing Royal this coming winter.

To us RC was the best of the three.

SSD Have a great Cruise!!!!!!
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Just a thought...one good thing about cruises is if you don't like one thing you can go somewhere else & try again!! AND you can try stuff you may not order at home because it's all free!!!
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Admiral

I think itís just depends on the person and other factors like who the chef is, the product quality they received, what you order and so forth. One person thinks RC was the best, I thought the food on RC was terrible. The food on my first Carnival cruise was very good the next Carnival cruise the food was not as good but still good.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Admiral

It is VERY subjective, we thought "Sindhu," the Indian themed restaurant on P&O's Azura served the worst thing we have eaten (or in fact NOT eaten) on a ship...very close to the worst ever..anywhere. Most other people think it is wonderful, I tend to think people are overawed by superb service & opulent surroundings in these speciality restaurants.
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
It is VERY subjective, we thought "Sindhu," the Indian themed restaurant on P&O's Azura served the worst thing we have eaten (or in fact NOT eaten) on a ship...very close to the worst ever..anywhere. Most other people think it is wonderful, I tend to think people are overawed by superb service & opulent surroundings in these specialty restaurants.
John,

I have to agree with you on this. I do know that some folks will eat just about anything if it's served to them in nice surroundings.

I do enjoy a fine dining experience but I also know improper preparation and poor quality of food. For me, if the food is bad then I could care less if I have three waiters, premium wine, fine bone china, linen table cloths and sterling silver cutlery. If the food isn't good then nice surroundings will not make it any better. I have experienced it a number of times and it is more irritating because the expectation level is raised when you have a fine dining atmosphere. You can put lipstick on the pig but it's still a pig and not a very tasty one at that. Sadly this is what I am seeing more and more of on cruise ships. Especially in the main dining rooms. But with the lower quality of food you also see a lower quality of service. Waiters with more tables. Less attention to serving details. i.e. serving men before women, leaning across people to serve or remove tableware, dribbling water on people from a sweating water pitcher. It is just lack of training and overwork. The cruise lines have put an emphasis on quantity over quality. Less staff, more passengers and lower overall quality.

The last thing is the level of service and quality the guests will tolerate. The cruise lines will gladly supply a lower quality product if the majority of guests are happy with it. It's good for the bottom line. I do put a lot of blame on passengers who go with the idea of "As long as I didn't cook it or have to wash the dishes it's good enough for me.". I take a different attitude. I'd rather cook it and wash the dishes than eat crap on my holiday. I also know the difference between my own personal preferences and poorly prepared food. Many folks confuse these. Having something you don't personally like does not mean it is poorly prepared. I hate oatmeal but I know how it should be cooked.

OK: It's time for me to stop my rant. I am not saying that cruise food, overall is not good, but it has been better.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
OK: It's time for me to stop my rant. I am not saying that cruise food, overall is not good, but it has been better.

Take care,
Mike
Mike, I value your opinion, you have been on Azamara, what did you think of their food?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Mike....absolutely BANG ON...Most of the MDR food on our last cruise was nowhere near as good as it used to be, particularly the "Gala Xmas Dinner" this was VERY disappointing, especially after all the hype about how many turkey's etc. all roasting away...crap... fresh cooked turkey isn't GREY, much less vegetables too. I think a lot of it is brought in pre-prepared & heated up.
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Admiral

You can give two chefs the same recipe and ingredients and have two very different tasting dishes sometimes. Good food is good food weather itís served on plastic or china same goes for bad food.
I have had food I hated on a cruise one night and on next night a great meal. I would like to think most people can tell the difference between a fine high quality meal and a trip the old country buffet.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Mike, I value your opinion, you have been on Azamara, what did you think of their food?
Marc,

I would rate Azamara's food as good to excellent. The MDR food fell into the very good range. They had a good variety of foods that were well seasoned, cooked properly and fairly good presentation. The negative was that the variety in the main dining room, at that time, was not the greatest. A lot of repetitive entrees such as steaks and fish.

The two specialty restaurants, Prime C and Aqualina were excellent. The pairings menu in Aqualina was one of the most enjoyable dinners we've had on a cruise ship. Not quite the Olympic on Millennium but pretty good. The steaks in Prime C and the Waygu beef selection were excellent and well prepared. I did have a problem with a waiter who didn't know wines and we had a bit of a "discussion". A visit from the sommelier took care of the problem.

The buffet, while small, was excellent with frequent turnover of foods and I was somewhat amazed when I asked the person serving corned beef hash if they had poached eggs to go with it. He responded, "No, but if you sit down I'll have two poached eggs brought out in just a couple of minutes." Sure enough, less than five minutes later two perfectly poached eggs were brought to our table. You wouldn't see that on a mainstream line.

I also have to add that we sailed Azamara in late 2007 and it was in its infancy. A new management staff (Hotel manager, F&B manager, Exec chef( came on board on our cruise and the people who were on the previous cruise and stayed on said our cruise was 100% better. From other reports it has only become better.

I would sail on Azamara in a heartbeat.

Take care,
Mike

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Some people don't bother with the MDR at all, they just "wanna eat" not have dinner & I doubt if they know the difference.