Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Familiar Face

Wink Last minute cancellations and filling the empty cabins

I sometimes have the desire to get on a cruise at the last minute. The only cabins that seem to be available are the most expensive. Typical example is the Enchantment coming out of Baltimore on the 5th of Decmber. I find it hard to believe that there are not last minute cancellations that would make lower cost cabins available. Is my assumption correct, and is there a way to get wait listed for cabins that might become available.

Thank you for your assistnce.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

It's usually the lower priced cabins that sell out first. That's why some get upgrades so that they can free up more lower priced cabins to sell.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
First Mate

Just like the airlines, the cruise lines anticipate last minute cancellations and intentionally overbook our ships.

People who cruise are remarkably predictable. For most sailings, we have excellent historical data on exactly how many cancellations will occur. On those very rare occasions when we get it wrong, we make move over offers to take care of overbooked numbers.

On the extremely rare occasions when we have a few open cabins just before sailing, our biggest and favorite travel agents are contacted with great last-minute deals. They typically contact their favorite clients - usually those living very close to the port - an offer these last minute deals to them.

Most cruise lines stopped wait lists years ago.
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Admiral

In the UK & P&O in particular they seem to sell Suites easily, insides, especially the rare insides go soon too, it is the balcony ones that appear to be last to sell, like houses I suppose, really expensive ones & cheap one are easier than mid-priced ones. What does seem to happen here is if you book an inside hoping for an upgrade they leave you where you booked & sell the balconies cheap as they are easy to sell being more attractive. This leads to the ridiculous situation where people can actually CANCEL the cruise LOSE the DEPOSIT & re-book a better cabin for a MUCH cheaper price.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Familiar Face

Smile Thank you.

I appreciate the inputs from snoozeman, bruce chafkin 1,and john. You have all helped me to understand the process of how empty cabins are filled and the strategy of the cruise companies to make sure they are occupied. Thanks again.