CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   On Board Tours (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/386362-board-tours.html)

rhounsel December 5th, 2011 12:39 PM

On Board Tours

Being a former US Navy guy (USS Forrestal CVA-59) I've always been interested in what a cruise ship engine room looks like these days.. I can only imagine that it would be quite a bit different from the engine room I served in... 600psi D type boilers with associated turbines and reduction gears/condersers, etc...

Do any of the current cruise lines offer on board tours of the engine rooms while underway or at port???

Jason Leppert December 5th, 2011 03:35 PM

I'm a total gear head and would love to tour the engine room on a cruise ship myself, but sadly the engine room is always off limits to passengers. Cruise lines occasionally offer video tours of such crew areas like the engine room, bridge, etc. on the stateroom TVs.

fun2cruiz December 5th, 2011 04:22 PM

CCL offers a "Behind the Scenes" Tour for a fee and limited availability. The tour is pretty interesting but DOES NOT INCLUDE the engine room.... that is off limits to passengers.

Marc December 6th, 2011 06:50 PM

Last March, a friend of mine did get a private tour of the engineering spaces on Regent Seven Seas Voyager. I have not personally toured the spaces. If you are really interested, I would stike up a conversation with the Chief Engineer and ask.

colorcrazie December 11th, 2011 02:57 PM

I used to know a Chief Engineer on one of the lines and he said that insurance regulations don't allow people to be in that area. Even crew members aren't allowed there unless hired to work in the engine room.
Marty

ruthlessboss December 12th, 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1404366)
CCL offers a "Behind the Scenes" Tour for a fee and limited availability. The tour is pretty interesting but DOES NOT INCLUDE the engine room.... that is off limits to passengers.

And for what you are allowed to see, you give up your phone, camera. you are wanded, and a security person goes with you.

fun2cruiz December 13th, 2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1405413)
And for what you are allowed to see, you give up your phone, camera. you are wanded, and a security person goes with you.

And I have been to many venues where no cameras, phones, etc. were alowed. Your point ? :confused:

The tour is interesting for some but perhaps not for all, (and apparently you), given your attempt to discredit it. :mad: Merry Christmas:rolleyes:

Lynn Knickers December 13th, 2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1405413)

What a rude comment you made ruthlessboss.:mad:

I am pleased that Cruise Lines take security seriously, regarding tours of the engine room and not admitting passengers. Some pax are completely mad, and should not be on a ship, never mind in an engine room.
I have on occasion, been on the galley tours, which were interesting and provided much conversation amongst fellow passengers.
One would assume that those who are mechanically inclined, would enjoy a visit to the engine room.
Shame on you for trying to downplay someone else's pleasure.

Surfguyxxx1 February 18th, 2012 08:09 PM

I've only done a backstage tour and a kitchen tour; bit whoop:mad:

Lakers Fan February 18th, 2012 08:57 PM

I've only done a galley tour.

Future Cruiser February 24th, 2012 05:43 PM

Doesn't Princess take people to the bridge on ship tours? I thought I read they let them see it.

Donna February 24th, 2012 08:03 PM

Before 9-11 it was common to get a bridge tour, now a days, very rare. I have heard of them, so it may pay to inquire.