Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default First Cruise

I watched 20/20 the other night and there was a former ship waiter on there. He said he made most of his earnings through tips. I thought all gratuities were included in packages. I will be cruising to Alaska inside passage on the Celebrity Infinity. Do I need to tip room service and all waiters?
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Hi there, there are 2 possibilities here. The first, and hopefully the one you are hoping for is that you can pre-pay your tips when booking. The downside on this is that you CANNOT adjust the payment once on board if there are any issues.

The alternative is NOT to pre-pay, in which case, and as is the norm with most US restaurants, service providers, and hotels, tipping is usually on top of the cost of your vacation. There are a few lines that includes tips, and some even include all tours, in the cost, but not too surprisingly their prices reflect the inclusions.

Also a few lines, or Travel Agents will do special promotions & absorb the charges, so you should check with your agent, or with Celebrity directly - you may well have prepaid, or better still be on a special deal.

I am trying to remember back to our Celebrity cruise as to how much it was each day
and have the feeling it was around $11.50 per person, per day including children, and it added automatically to your daily bill. If you want to adjust the amount, you should visit the front desk as soon as you can.

Also you should note that on all bar prices, a futher 15% will be added when you sign for the drink.

Not wonderful news, but better to know in advance, than have a nasty taste left at the end of your cruise.

Hope it all works out & you have a great time,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Admiral

On my last cruise we had outstanding service and tipped way above the recommended amount .
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default First Cruise

I was contemplating on whether to buy a drink package or not. My husband prefers beer and I sweet wines and mixed drinks but the most we would drink would be maybe 2 or 3 in the evenings. So should I purchase a package deal or just pay per drink. And if I do the package do I still get charged the 15% on each drink I get or is that already added in the package? Hope this makes sense
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, when ordering room service, you should tip then and there....Usually a few bucks per order depending on the size of your order.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If you buy a drink package you will not be served the service charge then and there. You pay whatever the price is (and if there is a service charge it should be included in the price they quoye you, so, no you do not have to worry about adding tips on top of a drink package).

I hope you do realize that when ordering drinks - nondrink package - that you "service charge" is already added into the ticket you sign for the drinks. There is no need to add any kind of tip when you order a drink - whether you have the package or not.

All tipping is done at the end of the cruise - with the exception of room service. To tell you the truth, I do not know why people started tipping for room service, but they did abou 10 years ago before tip all became automated. These days, since all tipmoney is meted out at the end of the cruise anyway I am sure the room service waiters get paid the same tips as every one else. So technically, the reason for tipping for room service has gone away.

But you shouldn't need to carry any money on the ship to tip anyone - except room service if you feel so inclined. And if you don't then don't tip them. They will not stand them clearing their throats until you do.....
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grands3 View Post
... if I do the package do I still get charged the 15% on each drink I get or is that already added in the package?
Hi again, I think that I am correct in saying that with the drinks package, we were quoted a price for the package, and then another 15% was added on to that to cover the tips.
So although you pay no extra at the bar, the price quoted will be increased by the 15%

As for the package itself, again someone please correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot buy a single package for the both of you, you have to buy one each. So if you are only drinking 2 or 3 an evening, then the package may not be for you. Please check with the seller before ordering it.

Have a great time,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

That is right - one package per person (no sharing). I would not be surprised if they tacked on a service charge after the package was sold, but I would think the price they quote you would mention if any service charge is to be included. They can't really do that without prior notice.

I expected the drink package to have a built in service charge one way or another - so its still true you are not expected tip extra when you are served a drink - thats a universal rule in my opinion.