Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Default Cabin upgrade

Has anyone ever boarded a ship and found that they've been upgraded ? Is that at all possible ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Has only happened to us on Royal Caribbean; booked a Cat D and were upgraded to Cat A.

Otherwise, we have been offered discounted upgrades in advance but have never been surprised on the pier. Of course, we have also purchased "guarantees'" that ended up with small upgrades.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've had a few upgrades on Princess. I always found out before I boarded though using the online Cruise Personlizer. I've never had a huge upgrade like a balcony to mini suite or mini suite to suite.

I always book a balcony or mini-suite. The upgrades are always the same room type but just a better location category such as a category AC mini-suite (aft) to a category AA mini suite (mid-ship).
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

We had it with Princess last year, we checked our booking the night before to find some info then found we had a so called upgrade, was really not happy about it.
Then this week I printed off our boarding passes with P&O and the next day they send me an e mail you have been upgraded. Again they have really upset us as we have been moved and our daughter and grand sons are now a long way away from us. The intention of this trip was to do some gramping there is little point in booking a cabin number you may as well just book the cheapest grade in the type of cabin you want and have allocation on arrival.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Default Cabin/Staeroom change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan kent View Post
Again they have really upset us... ...there is little point in booking a cabin number you may as well just book the cheapest grade in the type of cabin you want and have allocation on arrival.
Yes we had a 'discussion' with P&O recently for our upcoming Azura cruise. We had paid to pick the cabin/stateroom that we wanted, then having paid for everything & got our minds set, we discovered that our Cruise Personaliser had a differ cabin - one that we would never choose if we were paid to.
P&O advised that "You have to opt out of the upgrade system now", we told them that an upgrade from an inside to another inside in a horrible position was no upgrade, in fact it was a change of category not grade and we would create merry hell if they didn't move us back to the cabin that we had booked.
The reluctantly agreed "as a favour to us" !!!!

So we are in full agreement, if we wanted a random cabin, we would have paid for a guaranteed grade. If you book a specific cabin, then the line should contact you to offer a change, so that you make the decision and not them.

Alan
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Our first cruise (ending on Christmas Day) we booked a guaranteed ocean view and got a balcony (cat 8C) and met folks who said they had booked inside cabins and were upgraded. Didn't know our cabin number until we checked in. No one said anything but I thought that our assigned cabin was a balcony. We were giddy when we opened the door.

John Heald had a Facebook post this week about a couple people being dissatisfied with being upgraded from a cove balcony to a balcony on a higher deck. He asked if Carnival should ask people before giving them a free upgrade.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Celebrity:

If you are reading this ,I want an upgrade to a Veranda on my next cruise
Old March 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
First Mate

I've been upgraded several times; from inside to outside, from outside to veranda, and twice when I really didn't see any difference between what I had been expecting and what I got, but the new cabin was on a higher floor or more nearly midship.
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Admiral

I've usually know of upgrades before leaving for the cruise.
Princess just upgraded us to a BA balconey on our next cruise.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Henry

why just settle for a verandah? surely a suite

Annie

PS Yes I was upgraded on my very 1st cruise
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On John Heald's blog this week, he asked the question, should you be called before an upgrade. He was specifically referencing, someone who had booked a Cove Cabin,and was "upgraded" and, was not a happy cruiser. Boy, did he get an earful, from me too. I have always said: what may be an upgrade to one, is not to another.

If I book a specific cabin...leave it alone! A topical reminder when booking, to tell them...hands off

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Henry

why just settle for a verandah? surely a suite

Annie

PS Yes I was upgraded on my very 1st cruise
Too upscale for me
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise with MSC we booked and inside and when we checked in we were only told "oh you will really like your cabin". We went from an inside to a suite.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
Our first cruise with MSC we booked and inside and when we checked in we were only told "oh you will really like your cabin". We went from an inside to a suite.

In 2008 we were upgraded from an outside cabin to a balcony and when I tell people that they think its not so .

I don't necessarily need to be upgraded to a suite but if I can get a balcony tomorrow I will be very happy.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have sorted out our cabin problem for our cruise next month with P&O and I am about to contact princess as we have another cruise booked for June so this time before I pay the balance I will speak to a sales person to make sure they don't move me.
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan kent View Post
I have sorted out our cabin problem for our cruise next month with P&O
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out So did they just do their job, or did they make it feel like they were doing you a big favour giving you what you'd paid for ?

Alan.
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Familiar Face

So how does everyone get the upgrades? Is is frequency of travel with a certain cruise line, or just dumb luck? October will be my first cruise, an inside cabin mostly for cost savings and some for sea sickness as I heard ist was better. But I am curious why they change rooms and upgrade people. I would not mind an upgrade myself!
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do think a good deal of it is luck of the draw. Also, depending on how full the sailing is will depend on getting an upgrade. Best way to go, is initially book what you will be happy with and never count on one. By booking a guarantee catagory cabin and not a specific cabin sometimes gets you one. Best of luck and happy cruising.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Familiar Face

I am sorry, but we live in a society that wants the free lunch.

If you want to sit in first class, buy a first class ticket. Otherwise, be quiet.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Captain

I get upgrades every time I fly or cruise.
I pay for them.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr_Met View Post
So how does everyone get the upgrades? Is is frequency of travel with a certain cruise line, or just dumb luck? October will be my first cruise, an inside cabin mostly for cost savings and some for sea sickness as I heard ist was better. But I am curious why they change rooms and upgrade people. I would not mind an upgrade myself!
I know people who have over forty cruises with one cruise line and they have never had an upgrade. I also know people who have been upgraded on their first cruise.

The rhyme or reason to upgrades is something that even the most seasoned cruise person really doesn't know.

I can tell you a few things that are facts.

1. If you book a specific cabin then your chances for an upgrade are almost zero. It has happened but it is very very rare.

2. Don't book any cabin category you won't be happy with because chances are you will be cruising in that category.

3. It is not common to go from one type of cabin to another. i.e. If you book an inside you will usually be "upgraded" to another inside. Outside to an Outside, Balcony to a Balcony. Upgrades from inside to an outside or even balcony do happen but it isn't the norm.

4. If you get a call from the cruise line asking if you want to "upgrade" from an inside to a balcony for $300, this isn't an upgrade. It is an "upsell". You do not pay for an upgrade.

Upgrades happen and at sometime, somebody was upgraded from an inside cabin to the Penthouse Suite but that is where cruise myth starts. People will tell you they know a friend who's friend was upgraded like this but it is rare to find the story firsthand.

Take care and enjoy your cruise. No matter what cabin you have.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Admiral

We have been upgraded about 3 times. And when we were one thing I noticed was that we had booked a decent about of time prior to sailing and 2 of the 3 we had booked guarantees and went from an inside to an inside. The one other time we had booked very early also a guarantee and went from and inside to a balcony, one reason that I could think of was because we had booked with a TA that had been doing business with the line for years and they were new to the Caribbean. Since we have been booking specific cabins we have not gotten an upgrade.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you all, I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful and friendly and for a newbie like me, it is so very much appreciated. I am just looking forward to the cruise, don't care about the upgrade, I was just curious and thank you again for all the great info!