CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   theatre dress (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/390355-theatre-dress.html)

KellyKayden July 5th, 2012 11:24 PM

theatre dress

So...i have always been brought up as friday and saturday night for a show to be dress/formal and sunday to be "matinee wear". I dressed in a skirt and nice shirt for "blue man group" on the epic for saturday night....and was in the minority. Opinions?

Paul Motter September 20th, 2012 01:18 PM

I think you were raised better than the rest of us. In my house Saturday meant playing in the sandbox.

storybookcruises.com September 20th, 2012 08:32 PM

You have to understand that you were sailing on NCL - their motto is, "You're free to.... whatever." So you'll find everyone is alot more casual in their attire for everything.

They don't have any 'formal' nights like most of the mass market cruise lines do. If you like formal nights, then you really need to try some other cruise lines. Depending on your age and lifestyle, you might prefer a little more upscale cruise line. My personal favorite is Celebrity as it's alot nicer with MUCH better food, and is definitely more upscale without being 'stuffy'.

Pete

KellyKayden September 20th, 2012 08:36 PM

Jeez....way to make me sound like a snob. Of course i played in a sandbox when i was younger, it's just that after 7pm i changed from sandals to heals and the neighborhood boys were expected to wear a jacket

:-P

I was just stating i didn't know if others expected the same dress code "rules" while out to sea for shows and stuff, or if i was just expecting too much. In hindsight, hey, you're on vacation, wear whatever makes you comfy! Personally, i would just feel weird seeing a show while wearing flip flops, shorts, and a tank top.

KellyKayden September 20th, 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1447235)
You have to understand that you were sailing on NCL - their motto is, "You're free to.... whatever." So you'll find everyone is alot more casual in their attire for everything.

They don't have any 'formal' nights like most of the mass market cruise lines do. If you like formal nights, then you really need to try some other cruise lines. Depending on your age and lifestyle, you might prefer a little more upscale cruise line. My personal favorite is Celebrity as it's alot nicer with MUCH better food, and is definitely more upscale without being 'stuffy'.

Pete

Ironically i will be sailing my first celebrity cruise in march :) its not that i LIKE having to dress formal, in my line of work i wear suits everyday....i just thought it was odd to go to a show where people were dressed so casual. To each his own, it honestly didn't offend/bother me :)

However, now i am excited to try the food!

Sistersolo September 21st, 2012 07:48 PM

I have to agree that Celebrity has much better food, and a wider choice of it, than NCL. As to dress in the theater, I dress for where I am having dinner, and wear that to the theater. So, on formal nights I'm formal; on non-formal ones I'm usually in what I would wear to the MDR, but if for some reason I'm skipping that and planning on the buffet I'll be dressed casually.

OldFartCruiser September 21st, 2012 10:54 PM

I agree with and do similar as sistersolo.

On Celebrity there will still be pax dressed in shorts, tees & sandals for the shows. However may not be at the same rate as NCL.

O F C'er