CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Help help (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/391625-help-help.html)

tmwalkr September 3rd, 2012 09:07 PM

Help help

My wife and I have never been on a cruise so I thought I would be swift and purchase a cruise. On 8/25/12 I booked one for my wife and I for our 25th wedding aniversary only to find out now she will not be able to go on vacation due to work that has cancelled all vacations until November. I am now learning through emails that that is just too bad ad Im just with out any way to transfer or even let someone else go in my place that I hav already paid for. Can anyone advise me of any possible options?

storybookcruises.com September 4th, 2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmwalkr (Post 1444942)
My wife and I have never been on a cruise so I thought I would be swift and purchase a cruise. On 8/25/12 I booked one for my wife and I for our 25th wedding aniversary only to find out now she will not be able to go on vacation due to work that has cancelled all vacations until November. I am now learning through emails that that is just too bad ad Im just with out any way to transfer or even let someone else go in my place that I hav already paid for. Can anyone advise me of any possible options?

This all depends on when final payment is due and also the type of special, if any, you booked it under. Hopefully, you booked it through an agent and they will be able to help you. If you booked it directly with the cruise line or an online site, you're pretty much on your own.

If final payment has not been made, then you should be able to cancel it without any penalties. If you booked a special, similar to Carnival's Early Saver Fare, then you may lose some of your money, but not all of it, provided that final payment has not been made.

If you can give me a few more details, I can provide more specific information to you.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but this is rule number one as to why you want to book with an agent as it's their job to represent you and help you through problems like this. Also, an agent has contact information not available to you and sometimes they can get things you can't get.

If final payment has been made and you booked through the cruise line, I'm sorry to say that you will have to suffer the penalties involved. Unfortunately, that's the way it is and not much you can do about it.

Pete

Mike M September 4th, 2012 04:59 AM

It depends on when your sailing date is. If you were required to pay the full amount at time of booking then I would say you are past final payment date.

The refund policy should have been explained in your booking process. However, once booked, and paid in full you cannot cancel.

There are some alternatives:

Many cruise lines will give a partial refund if you are within a certain time period before sailing. Carnival's policy is:

Up to 76 days before sailing: No penalty and full refund (except for Early Saver Fares*)
75 to 56 days: Loss of Deposit
55 to 30 days: Loss of Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
29 to 15 days: Loss of Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
14 days or less 100% of total Fare

Call the person or agency you booked with and see what can be done.

Take care,
Mike

ruthlessboss September 4th, 2012 06:48 AM

Sounds like the cruise was to be soon. Poster said vacations were cancelled through November.

Paul Motter September 4th, 2012 11:38 AM

Unfortunately, I am not a travel agent although many come in here. I would think a cruise should be transferrable at the least - I do understand you cannot cancel without penalty.

OP has not come back, I wonder who he booked with?