CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   No-Fly List insurance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/394909-no-fly-list-insurance.html)

ameridave March 2nd, 2013 03:22 PM

No-Fly List insurance

If I find, as one only can, at the last second that I;m on a no fly list, does my cruise insurance cover the cruise cancellation?

aerospace March 2nd, 2013 04:02 PM

Terrorists need vacations too I guess, lol jk

Try searching no-fly-list.com

Dave Beers March 2nd, 2013 05:23 PM

You'd probably have to get third party "cancel for any reason" insurance. Cruise line policies are pretty limited in what they cover, which is why I never use them.

green_rd March 3rd, 2013 09:20 AM

I was once told by an airline ticket agent that my very common name was on a watch list. I must not have met some other criterium as I was allowed to travel.

Sistersolo March 3rd, 2013 12:14 PM

Someone with the same name as my daughter was on the no-fly list; may still be. She flies a great deal for her work, much of it back and forth to Europe. She would regularly be called out and interrogated, but never missed a flight. She had to allow lots of extra time at the airport, though. After three years of hassles the system found some way of figuring out which one of them was which, and she is no longer bothered.

Paul Motter March 4th, 2013 10:45 AM

That is funny - I had never known it was so pervasive.

I once had a situation where Transferred all of my credit card points to Southwest, which I only booked one-way because I only flew them between PHX and SAN Diego to meet my wife and we would drive the only way home. Every one-way ticket gets screened.

I just called them and said "I didn't opt to get 8 free tickets with just to have to get screened every time I fly with you." They stopped screening me.

storybookcruises.com March 21st, 2013 07:10 PM

You would have to ask that question of your travel insurance company since only an insurance adjuster/examiner can provide an accurate answer for it. I've not heard of this situation coming up before and whether it would be covered or not is something only they can answer.

If you happen to purchase the 'cancel for any reason' policy, at least you'd get most of your money back, but those policies are alot more expensive.

I once had a Federal judge refused because he was on the no-fly list and you can imagine the uproar over that one!

Unfortunately, anything anyone on this forum can provide would be pure speculation since this is a very specific question that may vary based on the insurance company and the individual policy purchased.

Best advice is to talk directly with your insurance company since each company could be different.

Pete

JohnTX March 29th, 2013 10:12 PM

One option is to pay $100 and apply for the Known Traveler program through the Customs and Border Patrol. They do an extensive background check and interview. Once approved, you have an ID card and enter the Known travel number into your profile when you purchase air tickets. After that, you will be pre-cleared...even have an opportunity to participate in the TSA Pre-check program and have expedited screening, leave your shoes on and liquids/laptop in your carry on (in selected airports). I used to get checked all the time. Not any more...

anusarma July 18th, 2014 01:22 PM

This really depends on the plan you purchase and the specific terms of the policy. It’s always a good idea to ask the underwriters / read the certificate wording and confirm all the covered reasons for a trip cancellation/ interruption. Can you try and get on the TSA pre screened list ( Transportation Security Administration) , that might save you some hassle.

nighthawk65 July 21st, 2014 12:48 AM

I can't answer the insurance portion of your question, but I believe you can apply for a "redress" number through DHS, not sure if there is a charge for that.

Mark