CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   You Can Now Go to Cuba!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/395875-you-can-now-go-cuba.html)

cruise planner May 1st, 2013 02:55 PM

You Can Now Go to Cuba!!

I think because of all the mystic surrounding Cuba, it's been one of those places most of us would love to see, but have never had the chance - until now!

We just found out that we can now sell trips to Cuba through one of our preferred suppliers.

Check it out; Cuba Travel Packages & Tour Programs | GlobusŪ

Pete

Lakers Fan May 1st, 2013 03:21 PM

Neighbors of mine went to Cuba in February .It was a group tour sponsored by their place of worship.

Manuel May 1st, 2013 05:39 PM

I would love to visit Cuba myself.

I will look into it.

LF

Donna May 1st, 2013 07:07 PM

I am just waiting for Cuba to be a port stop on a cruise....time will tell.

Trip May 1st, 2013 07:35 PM

I have gotten emails over the years, offering trips to Cuba, similar to the
Globus people-to-people educational exchange program. From what I have learned about these programs on tv,is, you are brought to locations to see, and hear, what is prepared for you to see and hear. It is a strictly an educational, or religeous trip,and quite costly. You are really not like an average tourist, going about the island as you wish.

When the ability to visit Cuba comes to pass, cruise ships will provide the hotel space that the island lacks, for the throngs of us that will want to go. If I am lucky enough to get to go, this is how I would go.

cruise planner May 1st, 2013 07:53 PM

Yep, I look forward to being able to visit it as a tourist, whether on a ship or spending some time in a nice hotel. Wonderful people, great food, and awesome beaches. Too bad politics always seem to ruin it for the people.

Pete

seadog2 May 1st, 2013 08:40 PM

Certainly have been looking forward to the time when Cuba is open for tourism. The "controlled" visits don't sound like much fun. I would love to experience the people the culture and all that Cuba has to offer. Many, many years ago I worked with many Cuban people and the potlucks were wonderful. Cuban food is very, very good. I'd go just for the eats. Looking forward to it.

Manuel May 2nd, 2013 05:24 AM

I have to agree with seadog about Cuban food. A lot of Cubans live not too far from my neighborhood and their parties are always fun and the food is to die for.

TM

Lakers Fan May 2nd, 2013 01:10 PM

In NYC there is a Chinese/Cuban restaurant that has great food .

gottacruz May 10th, 2013 12:36 PM

Would like to go, one cruise that I was on, the Captain could get us close as 3 miles, but for safety reasons, he chose to sail 4 miles away. The beach and lighthouse were beautiful. Think it would be interesting to go there.

Virginia

stanj August 21st, 2013 04:56 AM

It is still illegal for American citizens to go to Cuba but the exception of family contact and for US government approved education and cultural exchange programs. But tourism is thriving in the country, with Europeans, Asians and other regions of the world going in ever increasing numbers. There are hotels and tourism development, and lots of outside investment.
The policy of the embargo by the US is looked at as childish by almost all the world, it is not working whatever the goal is, the only place from which there is not trade, tourism and investment is 90 miles to the north.
Despite the prison sentence awaiting Americans going on their own if discovered, or owning a Cuban cigar, thousands of visitors from the US do go anyway. Flights are daily from Central America, just go. Arriving in Cuba with a US passport, your passport will be entered but not stamped as entering Cuba. A stamp is affixed to a separate paper that is advised to be destroyed before entering the US.
I am a US citizen living in St Petersburg Russia and see that many of my friends here have visited since it was a popular resort region during the Soviet era when flights were dirt cheap. After the independence of Russia from the Soviet Union, the new Russian Federation did not subsidize flights there or even offer foreign aid. Travel to Cuba by Russians almost stopped but in the last 8 years or so it has become popular with young people to visit, but flights are not cheap anymore.
Cruise ships stop there now but they probably do not accept US passengers because there would be a positive record of the passenger entering Cuban waters.
If someone wants to go using the people to people education programs, which tend to be pricy they can contact Semester at Sea or Road Scholar, both of which conduct legal tours.