Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default I am gullible

I am embarrassed to write this but I got suckered in to the phone scam of celebration cruise line... $789 worth a couple of months ago. I will get free hotel, air fare, rental car and cruise to bahamas on bahama celebration ship as long as I book in 18 months. I am so stupid now that I read it's a rip off scam. I don't know if I should go, chalk it up to experience or what. The funny thing is I have been on 6 Carnival cruises -- and a Norwegian cruise...all GREAT. What's wrong with me? What should I do?? It's been too long to get $ back (

Last edited by Dave Beers; June 1st, 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: correct name of cruise line
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:41 PM
Admiral

First thing I would do is contact your credit card company and see if there's anything they can do to help.

You could try and talk to the company and see what they can do about refunding your money, but I wouldn't expect much there. If you don't mind the hassle, you could always file a BBB complaint. Not much else because you did accept their contract and pay their fees, so I don't see any legal ramifications available to you, but you might contact the State Attorney General's office and see what they suggest.

You may just be stuck with two choices; take the trip and see how it goes, or cancel and lose your money.

Unfortunately, companies like this are very good at scamming people out of their money. This is especially true for the Bahama Celebration, which is really a joke.

Obviously, as your mother told you, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Best advice is to find a good reputable agent and always work with them when you want to plan a trip. They'll do their best to look after you and make sure you get a good deal while seeing that you don't get ripped off. And when you get these advertisements promising you unbelievable deals, just ignore them.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default t/y

I will try your suggestions on Monday & post results.
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

What state are you in - what state is the company in?

I would suggest asking nicely for your money back, and mentioning that if you don't get it you will report them to the BBB, the Florida Atty General, the police, the IRS, whatever... Oh, the local television news.

Technically, a cruise is usually refundable if you do not have date set. I know they do everything they can to take advantage of people.

If you do try to book a cruise start documenting everything; the date you request, if they ask for more money, etc etc etc, when you are ta that point where it just feels like a scam call a television station/newspaper hotline about "rip offs".

People have gone to jail for running this scam - and for less money than you have already paid in.

If you sincerely try to book a cruise, and you get nothing - there is ALWAYS small claims court. For a very small fee you can have a quick hearing, no attorneys, and very likely get your money back.

Old June 5th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sterry,
So, did you get some satisfaction with some phone calls?? Keep us posted...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Also curious....I hope you were able to get some satisfaction.

I think I would go if you don't get a refund...might as well and make the best of it. Good luck!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014