CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   FLL to Port Everglades (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/398686-fll-port-everglades.html)

Queen of Oakville September 5th, 2013 10:21 AM

FLL to Port Everglades

Didn't see a port sub-forum so I'm asking here :)

Usually, we take a cab from FLL to the Port.

On our last two sailings, we've had the cab stop at total wines before going to port.

I'm wondering if I should do a day rental on a car. Are there any cab rental companies close to the port where we could do a drop-off and then shuttle to the port. I think I'd like the flexibility to take my time getting wine, water or other items.

This is what we normally do at Port Canaveral - but it makes sense to have a car because the port is much further away from the airport.

Which rental companies are closest to the port that offer shuttles?

felix_the_cat September 5th, 2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1483998)
Didn't see a port sub-forum so I'm asking here :)

Usually, we take a cab from FLL to the Port.

On our last two sailings, we've had the cab stop at total wines before going to port.

I'm wondering if I should do a day rental on a car. Are there any cab rental companies close to the port where we could do a drop-off and then shuttle to the port. I think I'd like the flexibility to take my time getting wine, water or other items.

This is what we normally do at Port Canaveral - but it makes sense to have a car because the port is much further away from the airport.

Which rental companies are closest to the port that offer shuttles?

If you rent a car for the day, they will shuttle you into the port. Their offices are just a bit off the beaten path so you'll need a map. We used Budget last time we needed a car in FLL..

Mike M September 5th, 2013 03:51 PM

All of the major car rental companies have airport rental at FLL. You can pick up your car at the airport, use it for a day, then drop your passengers and luggage off at the ship, return the rental car and take the rental shuttle back to the port.

I've done this before and total time from dropping the luggage at the pier and returning to the port has always taken less than 45 minutes.

Take care,
Mike

Queen of Oakville September 5th, 2013 03:57 PM

thank you!

cruise planner September 5th, 2013 06:27 PM

We use Budget, also. They're right near the pier and have a complimentary shuttle.

We like to rent a car when arriving a day earlier so we can visit our corporate office, friends, or cruise line offices and Budget is the closest and the cheapest.

Pete

Trip September 5th, 2013 06:56 PM

Just a reminder if you are cruising on a Sunday. The liquor stores don't open till noon. Walgreen and CVS there, sell beer and wine.....that blows my mind but, good to know....

Queen of Oakville September 6th, 2013 10:33 AM

We sail on a Saturday.

Usually, we only rent a car when we arrive a day early. We've never rented a car before when we've been going straight from FLL to the port {we have for MCO to the port}.

I just remember last trip, getting held up at total wine - with the meter running {we had preordered our wine, but they could not find our order}. I also wanted to pick up a case of water, which means two stops. Another option is we get the cab to stop at Publix - water and wine in one stop. Not sure what kind of wine selection we'd find at publix? Don't need anything too fancy. If we could get a bottle of J.Lohr or a Mondavi cab - we'd be happy. Does anyone know what the wine selection at Publix is like?

cruise planner September 6th, 2013 03:11 PM

Personally, I think Publix has a pretty good wine selection. And one thing I love that we don't get up here is that they have buy-one-get-one-free on a regular basis. Last time we were there, we picked up two really nice Australian wines that were BOGO.

Like you, we'll usually just have the taxi wait while we run in a get a bottle of wine to have during the cruise and a bottle of champagne to open when the cruise begins. Plus, we'll usually get a couple of bottles of water and a 12-pack of soda. We refill the bottles from the water supply on the ship as their water is usually pretty good. If it's not, then we'll just buy a few more bottles in port, which is always much cheaper than buying it on the ship.

Pete

Queen of Oakville September 9th, 2013 11:00 AM

Thanks Pete - appreciate the info!

Taxi to Publix to Port it is.