CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   How can cruisemate pay for their share of cabin (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/399331-how-can-cruisemate-pay-their-share-cabin.html)

bonnyprincecharlie October 9th, 2013 04:51 PM

How can cruisemate pay for their share of cabin

I had given up on finding cruisemate for Dawn cruise out of Boston on Nov. 1 2013 so I made reservation and paid for cabin. A cruisemate has appeared and now cruise broker says I have to get payment directly from cruisemate. The broker will not give me credit and charge new cruisemate. Any suggestions as to how I can handle this situation.

storybookcruises.com October 9th, 2013 04:57 PM

Had you booked this with a reputable agent, they could have gotten the cruise line to charge their credit card for half the cost and refunded the difference back to your card. We do this all the time for our clients.

If your broker refuses to work with you, then you really don't have any option except to request a check from the other passenger made payable to you so you can pay it towards your credit card bill. (They could also send the money to you via PayPal if both of you have an account. If not, it's real easy to set one up - we do this alot, too.)

Sorry, just no other way to get that done if the broker is unwilling to assist you.

Pete

ruthlessboss October 9th, 2013 05:19 PM

What has your new cruisemate want to do? The best way is to deal with the cruise line person with the billing. I would not add that person's name until something is concrete. Are you sure this new person is honorable for payment and not leading you on? We don't know if it's someone you know or if he/she is unknown. Don't forget, the new person must pay taxes and fees because you booked solo.

Paul Motter October 9th, 2013 06:09 PM

BP Charlie....

Are you dealing with a travel agent, directly with the cruise line, or what?

If I was the potential roommate I would also feel better paying for the cruise to the cruise line or agent, rather than writing you a check - only because it is more of a "sure thing".

But I don;t know why a "broker" wouldn't make a change like this for you, it must happen all the time.

By the same token - you could call the cruise line and tell them you now want to bring a guest and request a booking number. (I am assuming you already paid full fare for two people". Whatever outstanding charges exist (port fees) they cruise line should be willing to take directly.

Is it possible you went with a broker who is asking for a change fee to add this person? if so - just add it in to the cost of the cruise.

bonnyprincecharlie October 10th, 2013 06:08 AM

Thank you all for the advice you have given. I am going to be able to take action based on these recommendations. Your experience and advice makes this site the only one for cruise and travel advice.