CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   One way cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/400573-one-way-cruise.html)

Murphy45 January 12th, 2014 10:56 PM

One way cruise

Can you please let me know if I can book a one way cruise from Honolulu to Los Angelus, or if there is such a thing. Or, even to Vancouver.

Many thanks

Maureen

storybookcruises.com January 13th, 2014 01:34 AM

Surprised your agent wasn't able to help you with this. But yes, there are one way cruises from Honolulu to Vancouver.

Pete

Donna January 13th, 2014 06:40 AM

Hi Murphy,
You should look into repositioning cruises in the early spring and then again later in the fall. The ships first going into Alaska are one way and then again, at the end of the Alaska season, the way back.

Paul Motter January 13th, 2014 02:18 PM

I am pretty sure you can also go to Los Angeles. Its a slightly different route but it goes.

Just be prepared to spend seven days on the ship just going around to the Hawaiian islands before four days at sea before you visit Ensenada Mexico the day before you hit Los Angeles.

In other words, if you are look for a "ferry" kind of ride directly from Hawaii to Los Angeles, the answer is "no" - there is no such thing. But there are Hawaii cruises that start in Honolulu, see Hawaii and end in Los Angeles, plus legally you have to visit at least on foreign port, and in this case Ensenada qualifies.

MrPete January 13th, 2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy45 (Post 1492938)
Can you please let me know if I can book a one way cruise from Honolulu to Los Angelus, or if there is such a thing. Or, even to Vancouver.

Many thanks

Maureen

We took a one way 12 day cruise from Ensenada to Hawaii back in 1998. It was a re-positioning cruise to get a Carnival ship up to Alaska for the season. From Hawaii, it went to Vancouver, and then did the reverse in the fall.

Being the Carnival Miracle is planning on doing Alaska this Fall, it's a choice to look at. They have since started doing round trips out of LA for 15 days.

Marc January 13th, 2014 08:06 PM

You cannot go one way from Honolulu to LA unless you go to a "distant foreign port;" Ensenada does not constitute a distant foreign port. Ships on this itinerary stop at Kiribati (aka Christmas Island) to satisfy the rules. Of course, as stated, you could get a cruise that ends in Ensenada and buses you to LA.

BernieG January 14th, 2014 01:47 PM

Pacific Princess, Celebrity Solstice and Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas all do one way Vancouver to Honolulu. Carnival might have one too. You won't find one from LA. Rhapsody of the Seas might also have one but I know they're moving her to Europe I just can't remember when.

Not recommending them as an Agent, but Vacations to Go has one of the best cruise search engines out there.

BernieG January 14th, 2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1492993)
You cannot go one way from Honolulu to LA unless you go to a "distant foreign port;" Ensenada does not constitute a distant foreign port. Ships on this itinerary stop at Kiribati (aka Christmas Island) to satisfy the rules. Of course, as stated, you could get a cruise that ends in Ensenada and buses you to LA.

Exactly. Celebrity Solstice used to do the Ensenada to Honolulu route but they're moving her to Vancouver starting in April. Not sure if there's any left that do from Ensenada which is probably a good thing.