Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default I hope this remains as a post as others may

found your answer useful (and when I tried to write to the contact me, site, my question would not go through.

I wrote a question asking which sites monitor cruise fares then after googling it I found the answer. I thought it would be helpful to post what I found out, and also the site where I found the info which like cruisemates was a site for cruise fans. The whole question was deleted and was wondering if it was because I answered my own question which I thought was useful (it seems you don't want that) and mentioned other sites (was not advertising them but thought it would be helpful.)
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It was deleted because we don't like posts that are solely meant to direct users to other commercial cruise communities.

I suspect I know what site you cited, and they were just touting this new feature this week, so it seems like a "planted" post although I don't know that to be a fact.

In truth, cruisecompete.com has followed cruise prices for years and continues to do it month after month. There is nothing new about this process.
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
It was deleted because we don't like posts that are solely meant to direct users to other commercial cruise communities.

I suspect I know what site you cited, and they were just touting this new feature this week, so it seems like a "planted" post although I don't know that to be a fact.

In truth, cruisecompete.com has followed cruise prices for years and continues to do it month after month. There is nothing new about this process.
While we are sort of on the subject, is there a location on this website that lists any do's and don'ts? I know on some cruise boards you cannot make any reference to specific Travel Agencies or Agents and they are not allowed to solicit for business on the boards themselves, nor are excursion tour operators. You may make comments on specific cruise excursion vendors, but only in response to a specific question posted on the board, for instance, someone asking for a recommendation for a whale watch tour in Maui. Same rules here?

And I never know if it is allowed to mention other sites similar to CruiseMates, for instance [edited per rules against promoting other commercial cruise sites]. And I just did!
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Here are our rules - although that one rule is not specific, it says not to link to any "commercial enterprise" because that is the same as advertising.

Hey, I notice that Cruise Critic ads show up here from Google Ads, so if it is worthwhile for them to pay to have a presence here, why should we give it away for free?

So, please do NOT include links just for the sake of telling people there are other places to go. That would be like someone coming to where you work and telling your customers there are other people beside yourself for whatever you do for a living.

Now, if you want to bring up a specific topic that originated someplace else, that is different. But not just to say there other places that do exactly what we do. That is obviously somewhat rude.

By the way - I have looked at the "pricing prediction engines" that are out there, and I am sorry, but I think they are a joke. AS a person who writes about cruising all year long I can tell you pricing is based on many other factors besides what they were the preceding 6 months. It is like the stock market, no one can predict where stocks are going based on where they have been.

Other factors (price of oil, seasonal demand, availability of inventory) make much more difference in pricing than looking at trends. For example, will prices in Europe be higher or lower than last year? Well, it depends on what adjustments were made to inventory compared to last year, and changes in the cost of airfare, more than anything else. Price predictors do not look at those things.

You need a professional analyst to really predict cruise prices.