Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:46 PM
First Mate

Default transatlantic

hi, would the month of october be a good month to cruise from south hampton to new york. thinking of crossing the pond for my 60th, solo!. it would be in 2015. if not, what would be a good month weather wise?
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think you will get a wide range of answers about crossing the Atlantic ocean. It could be rough, choppy, or fairly decent. I don't know if you will get a good answer. Someone could cross one week and have smooth trip; and someone could cross following week and have a rough trip.

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Ok thank you
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I did east and west crossings in Oct. 2012 and it was quite rough both ways. My crossings last September were quite smooth. There is no way of telling what the conditions will be like. All my crossings have been on the QM2 and the ship you are aboard does make a difference and also your cabin location.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Familiar Face

Hi! As you would like to depart from Southampton this could probably only be Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It is known as the only true ocean liner, is much faster than the average cruise ship. QM2 can speed ip to 30 knots, while cruise ships float at a max of 22 knots, typically. I have sailed on QM2 already and I have to say, that this is really a great vessel and due to its size and shape and also its stabilizers it was always very calm.

Of course, the northern atlantic ocean can be rough in October and what's known as "autumn storms" can create waves of 15 meters (45 feet) or more. QM2's bow and bulb are especially designed to plough through rough sea - but during these condition a balcony stateroom would be of little use :-)

October is also a perfect month to chose a transatlantic voyage on a regular cruise ship, departing from Copenhagen or a mediterranean port, such as Barcelona or Rome (Civitavecchia). As huge parts of the entire world fleet change the seasonal operation region - from the Mediterranean to the Caribbean in October and reverse in April - there is a lot of available space on these ships to be sold, and since cruise ships need at least 10 up to 16 days to make it accross the pond, this would mainly too long for the average american passenger. Especially for those who are not yet retired...

If you compare the daily fares, these voyages can really be incredibly cheap bargains! Very often, some canary islands, Madeira and / or caribbean islands are chosen as ports of call to make the trips a little bit more entertaining, since it could be a bit frightning for some people to see nothing but water for 10 or more days. Regular cruise ships are not designed for the rough waters of the northern atlantic ocean, so they have to chose another southern route. Therefore the chances are much higher to enjoy your balcony, at least when getting closer to Miami / Fort Lauderdale / Galveston.