Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Health opinion

My mother age 95 was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I personally was surprised at her age. We are scheduled for a a 78 day Asia cruise in Sept. My question is, with grade C3 (4 x 5 size mm) left breast cancer and in 2 lympth nodes, and eventhough she turned down any surgery, chemo,radiation and just takes a pill (Anastrozole 1 mg), if it was your mother would you let her make the long trip, eventhough she wants to go? The doctor says sure, have a good time, but I'm hesitant. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:43 PM
Familiar Face

You have a difficult decision to make.
It sounds as though you need to have a talk with your mother about your concerns, as it sounds like your mother and her doctor seem to think it's a good idea, unless your Mom is concerned about loosing any deposit from cancelling the trip ?
Did the doctor inform you of any problems or scenarios you may encounter with this new diagnosis while cruising ?
.If it wasn't discussed, I would suggest making an appt and get specifics, including your specific (medical) concerns and get specific recommendations from the doctor on what you should do - should any scenario happen.
The unknown can be scary.

Would you be comfortable having someone cruise with her who has a medical background and be able to help you make a decision, should anything happen,- whether related to her cancer or anything else ?

It sounds like your mother wants to go and that you need to feel comfortable with her going.
Having lost my Mother recently, I would say : invest the time now, determine if you can realisticly be comfortable with the trip, and make every effort to plan accordingly.

Good luck !
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:46 AM
First Mate

First, when you booked this cruise did you buy travel insurance; especially one that covers medical evacuation. If mom gets sick or the cancer spreads quickly while on the cruise; she may need to be evacuated from the ship. You will be a long way from USA shores.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old July 4th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear your Mom, was diagnosed. As a 3 time breast cancer survivor, I understand it all too well. Here is what I think.

Since your mom, has decided to forgo treatment,and her Doctor has give the red light. I would go. Since she will not be fatigued from treatment, and, just the natural fatigue that comes along wth being 95, I would suggest the possibility of renting a scoooter, or a lighweight wheelchair. Take advantage of sea days, for resting, and lazy activities. Having the ability to pick up the phone and order room service, will also make it easy, when, and if it's needed.

Get a cabin by the elevators, so there will be no, long walk to get to the cabin. Most of all enjoy this time with your Mom. She is lucky to have time with you to make lasting memories...to both of you I wish, a bon voyage.

PS, do make sure you have travel insurance, with good medical coverage for peace of mind.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; July 5th, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old July 5th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I like your post. Yes, we have insurance. Personally, I'm not 100% sold on going on the trip. Mainly for the fact, like another reader mentioned, an evacuation factor, IF something unknown happens in the middle of the Pacific caused by the cancer spreadsing. So being we're some 2 1/2 months away from boarding, I will make a final decision a few weeks before we go. I know there is a certain amount of risk with inflamatory cancer on a long trip, so I want to feel comfortable. I know mom is focused on going it seems at any cost, but I'm still going to wait. Thanks for your post again Admiral.
Old July 5th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyannea View Post
You have a difficult decision to make.
It sounds as though you need to have a talk with your mother about your concerns, as it sounds like your mother and her doctor seem to think it's a good idea, unless your Mom is concerned about loosing any deposit from cancelling the trip ?
Did the doctor inform you of any problems or scenarios you may encounter with this new diagnosis while cruising ?
.If it wasn't discussed, I would suggest making an appt and get specifics, including your specific (medical) concerns and get specific recommendations from the doctor on what you should do - should any scenario happen.
The unknown can be scary.

Would you be comfortable having someone cruise with her who has a medical background and be able to help you make a decision, should anything happen,- whether related to her cancer or anything else ?

It sounds like your mother wants to go and that you need to feel comfortable with her going.
Having lost my Mother recently, I would say : invest the time now, determine if you can realisticly be comfortable with the trip, and make every effort to plan accordingly.

Good luck !
The doctor has said nothing except if I worry, worry about a stroke or heart attack at 95, not the cancer. I wasn't completeley satisfied with that remark, so I plan on waiting to just a few weeks before we go to make a final decision. Our room is close to the elevator and I'm aware of the options on board, but once the trip gets closer, I'll see what type of energy she has and if her conditions worsens. Thanks again for your concerns.
Old July 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Captain

So you have insurance to cover any emergencies if it goes wrong.
What about the other passengers?
If your mother's illness causes the ship to miss ports to get your mother safely ashore, what happens to the vacations that all those other people paid for?
Are you willing to gamble their vacations as well?
Old July 6th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
So you have insurance to cover any emergencies if it goes wrong.
What about the other passengers?
If your mother's illness causes the ship to miss ports to get your mother safely ashore, what happens to the vacations that all those other people paid for?
Are you willing to gamble their vacations as well?
Bruce, I am surprised at your post.

Even I who have had cruises adversely impacted by need for medical evacuation and have had flights return to Ireland when heading home would not make such a statement or implied recommendation.

For the OP, I say please do not cancel against your mother's wishes. I have met many cruisers in their 90s who have a blast and met some younger than 90s that died while on the trip. Ship happens. Let your mom enjoy what sounds to be a wonderful cruise.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Bruce, while I really do understand your point, you could say that for anyone 95 years old. Even her own doctor said "If you are going to worry, worry about something else....."

So, basically he is saying at that age any one of us could go at any time.

As long as he has insurance for his mom for THAT condition (preexisting conditions must be specified and the policy taken out with a specific time frame, usually within days of booking the cruise, or they will not be covered).

My mom was 92 and passed from a fall. They think it is possible she was just standing when her hip broke, from old age, and she fell and hit her head.