Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Familiar Face

Default Having my crew member partner as a passenger during off time

Hello

My partner is a steward crew member. I would like to do a cruise on his ship. Please advise if I was to pay the full fare for both of us would he be allowed in my cabin and enjoy all passenger facilities during his off duty time?

Also would he be eligble to any discount on the fare if the above is possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips and guidance.

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I cannot answer your question but I did copy this post to the Crewmembers forum. Someone there will have more knowledge about this than most staff members.

I hope you get your answer and enjoy your cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Captain

Default I have seen ship officers with their wives on cruises.

I supposed that the offices got special discounts and for their wives on cruises.
Of course i have heard that oficer significant others got passage discounts, this i can't verify.
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Captain

On most lines, any officer wiht a single cabin has the opportunity to bring family - or long time firend - to sail with him/her in that crew cabin.

Crew without single cabins do not have this option. If your friend is a steward, he probably shares a cabin.

Sometimes a crewmember has friends or family sailing who can get special family rates for a passenger cabin.

The crewmember then needs to ask permission from ship management to visit or stay in that cabin.
Old November 13th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Familiar Face

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the info. Leave him to ask. I just hope the fact that he will be a "paying passenger" whilst still on duty will work. I did want to seal the whole deal as a surprise with his name on the ticket before I even board. That way also not cause problems for him regards Passenger /crew rules.
Old November 13th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the feedback. Thats the million dollar question - will permission be granted or not. I want to do it all as a surprise on board the ship with a package for the two of us names on tickets etc.

However all will be blocked if he has to stay in his cabin.
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenkrog View Post
Hi Bruce

Thanks for the info. Leave him to ask. I just hope the fact that he will be a "paying passenger" whilst still on duty will work. I did want to seal the whole deal as a surprise with his name on the ticket before I even board. That way also not cause problems for him regards Passenger /crew rules.
He will not be a paying passenger whilst on duty. The only time he will, or can, be a paying passenger is when he has finished his contract and is on vacation. He can then pay for a cruise with you and then he will be a paying passenger. At no point during his contract will he be considered a passenger. he has been employed for a period of time and staff levels have been calculated on his presence, his workload cannot just be put on hold or passed to other crew members.

You will not be able to spring any kind of surprise on him on the ship.

You have three options:

A- You book a cruise for yourself. He contacts his head of department to request that he can visit your cabin during the cruise. This will be reviewed by the management team. If you are not married then it is unlikely he will be permitted to visit your cabin due to his rank and due to the fact you are not married. You will not be able to surprise him.

B - He books a friends and family cruise with you as the guest. Once you are onboard, assuming you get onboard, (as it is on a standby basis) he will then need to submit various form to request that he can visit you in your cabin. Again this will be reviewed by the managment team. Whatever their decision, you will not be able to surprise him.

C - Once he has finished his contract, you book a cruise for yourselves and cruise on the ship as normal guests.