Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default help. My girlfriend works on the celibrity equinox. I want to visit, but problems

Dear sir, madam,

I want to visit my girlfriend on the celebrity Equinox who is working there as a pianist. Her ship will travel the mediteranian sea for 4 months. I have booked a two person room on my name with my girlfriend as the second person. My girlfriend is from Ukraine but she has a 5 year permanent residence citizenship of the Netherlands / europe. She can work and travel freely in europe without VISA. Her manager says I must cancel my two person room and book a one person room. Because my girlfriend cannot be a passenger and an employee at the same time. She will have VISA problems.

I have three questions:
1. will she have VISA problems if she is a passenger and an employee at the same time? Is this true?
2. Why can't I just book a two person room with only my name? The situation is pretty clear that she will be with me. Why do they want me so badly to book a one person room? It is much more expensive, and availablility is less?
3. Can you give me some advice what to do in this situation? Mayby i should book a friend as a second person and when I arrive there just say she didn't want to join anymore? Or mayby i should cancel my girlfriends name one week before?

Thank you very much in advance,

kind regards

Dirk Jan
Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Captain

If you are planning for her to stay in your room during your visit she will need to apply for permission. Even if she is just to visit your room occasionally it's wise to give notice to avoid the appearance of impropriety. There are strict rules against crew and passenger fraternization and breaking them could mean you are both put off at the next port of call, contract canceled, and her not being able to reapply as there is a black mark on her work record.

1. Basically the ship transfers a list of passengers to the next country informing them who is coming. They also do this for staff so having a name repeat could well cause be an issue. Also it could be an issue on the ship; when she gets off in port for the day will she scan out as crew and show up as still on the ship as passenger...you see the problem?
2/3. There is no such thing as a 1 person room or 2 person room technically but if you book solo usually they will charge you double to pay for the vacant slot. You might find it the same price to bring a friend(aside from the tax). Sometimes it's cheaper to book as 2 people even if you know the other person isn't coming but usually not as you pay double the tax. Check the dates online to see your cost options. If you she isn't sleeping in your room consider bringing a friend or getting a roommate here to save some $.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi captain,

Thnx for you advice. I understand the situation a bit better now. She has permission to tome into my room. I will get her name of the list asap to make sure there are no problems.

So i think i have three possibilities now:
1. convert room to a one person room
2. put my brothers name there, but show up alone at the ship.
3. put my brothers name there, but show up together at the ship.

Actually i want to go for option 2. Will they refuse me at the ship if they understand I'm alone?

Last edited by djvankes; June 6th, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old June 6th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Captain

Any of the 3 will work. Just make sure if you show up and he doesn't to let them know when you check in. Otherwise they will assume he is late and may hold up the ship.

It happens all the time someone may change their mind about coming, have to work last minute, break a leg and decide not to come, etc. From the cruiseline's perspective you are fully paid for both, if one doesn't show that's just less food to be eaten

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Captain

No matter how you book the room you will be paying for 2 people (solo rate is usually 200%)

Can she get you on as friends & family & share her cabin??

My neighbour is doing a HAL cruise as a nurse but her hubby & DD are going but they will share her room so they get a discounted rate

She can check with her supervisor if this is allowed
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thnx all for your replies!

UNfortunately only when you work for celebrity cruises for more then 6 months you can have a discount as a family member.

I will go for option 2. I will change her name to my brothers and I will show up alone at the ship and notify them my brother will not show op.

thnx everyone.