Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default Alaska cruise

I know there's several of you good folks who have been to Alaska on cruises.
Although we have been on numerous cruises we have never been to Alaska I have a lot of problems with sinuses and damp, rainy weather usually sets them off. ( I'm not the one who is wanting to go--it's my wife , so to humor her ---)
I know a little about Alaska and the weather there. I know basically we could hit the jackpot and have a week of beautiful weather but more than likely we will encounter some misty, damp , cloudy days, as I know the weather there can change rather quickly. I have a question re / clothing. I'm planning to wear jeans during the days and take a 2-3 long sleeve shirts and maybe a couple of sweat shirts. We do already have rain jackets.
We're leaving from Seattle, round trip on Princess. I was hoping someone who has been there can offer some suggestions re / clothing, as you can see above basically what I'm taking .. As far as I know Princess still calls it " formal " nights and expects gents to wear a coat and tie on those nights, which I will. I'll dress as I usually do the other nights--shirts, slacks, etc. We will be going in a couple of weeks. So, any advice, help, etc would be appreciated regarding clothing .
Thanks in advance.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The key to cruising Alaska is to dress in layers, and I think you have that covered....also, some good walking shoes...You could also see some really nice warm days, so you can throw a pair of shorts in there. Be sure to check out Horizon Buffet as well, even for dinner if you are more in a rush to catch a show, etc....It is also great for breakfast and lunch....

What excursions are you planning?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Donna, thanks for taking the time to respond. I felt like I pretty much was right in what to take.
My idea of a vacation ( especially a cruise ) is sand, palms and sea. However, my wife insists on going to Alaska so who am I not to go!!
I'm sure we will have fun--any cruise is a good cruise.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Ron
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Ron,
I think you may be pleasantly happy with the cruise, I would do Alaska any day....The whole atmosphere is different from a Caribbean cruise and everything you see will be amazing...have fun and be sure to come back and tell us about it.

Are you doing the White Pass Rail in Skagway? That is a trip that is both informative/interesting and breathtaking....I know it is a little on the long side, but well worth the time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 11th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Donna, yes we're definitely doing the White Pass R.R. I wouldn't miss that --Whale watching in Juneau and the Saxman Native Village and Totem Pole tour. We have pre-booked them with Princes. We are going to Seattle a day early and our flight back is late ( like 11.p.m. ) so we will have some time to explore Seattle, especially Chinatown. I could have gotten different flights but the ones I booked are non-stop so I like that and the late flight doesn't bother me--like I said, we will have time to explore Seattle going and coming.

So, yes, I'm definitely looking forward to the cruise. I collect wood carvings so I guess I'll end up with a small totem pole--if not a small one, I'll have one shipped about as big as a phone pole and set it up in the back yard !
Thanks again for your help.
Ron.
Old June 12th, 2016, 01:05 AM
Captain

On our first Alaskan cruise were there in August and it was 80 degrees in Juneau. I brought flannel and duofold shirts and a light jacket to help layer for the trip. Nothing lighter though. If only there were places in Juneau to buy a T shirt. Oh wait, there are!
Donna is right. Plan for warmer weather too just in case.
I look forward to reading your report upon your return.
Old June 12th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Thank you Peter. i appreciate the info. I'm looking forward to the cruise.
I'm sure we will have a great time.
Have to start getting some duds together soon--I'm a late packer !