Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Australia/New Zealand
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Beginner

Default ATW with checked baggage, cruising to NZ, then on to ATW

Hello. Forgive me for posting this in 2 places- I had not seen this forum when I posted this question earlier.I'm hoping some traveler out there can help me.
My husband and I leave to travel ATW (for 3 months) in just 9 days. Our trip involves flights and (dressy)cruises, so we will be traveling with 3 or 4 checked bags. Since we will arrive in NZ by cruise ship, and not by air, our subsequent flight on Quantas (through BA) from CHCH to Sydney to London to Munich will not allow us the 2 pcs/pp baggage allowance. I suspect there may be a problem with Aegean in our short hop from Munich to Athens, as well.
Because 2/3 of our ATW trip is on cruise ships, we will be bringing the amount of luggage we normally do when we enjoy formal nights and dressy meals. We've always been able to check 2 large bags each on our flights. However, Quantas' website is making me nervous. Since we are arriving in NZ by ship, not air, from the US, we will be in a different category for baggage allowance (just 1 pc each!) We don't want to get socked with unexpected airline baggage charges. Maybe a printout of all of our travel plans will be enough to get us the "by piece" allowance from the airlines? My phone call to Quantas didn't give me any more help than a "maybe". Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Sponsored Links