CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Australia/New Zealand (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/)
-   -   Sunny Side of Ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/341815-sunny-side-ship.html)

Fhorchu October 29th, 2007 05:53 PM

Sunny Side of Ship

Hi
Can anyone tell me which would be the best side of ship for evening sun, i.e sitting out on our balcony drinking a glass of wine :) we will be sailing from Sydney up the east coast then round to Darwin then back down the west coast and round to Melbourne then over to NZ then back to Sydney (35 days) but having to wait until 24 Feb'09 on Rhapsody of the Seas to sail. any info would be appreciated.

Lombard November 1st, 2007 01:35 AM

Re: Sunny Side of Ship

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhorchu
Hi
Can anyone tell me which would be the best side of ship for evening sun, i.e sitting out on our balcony drinking a glass of wine :) we will be sailing from Sydney up the east coast then round to Darwin then back down the west coast and round to Melbourne then over to NZ then back to Sydney (35 days) but having to wait until 24 Feb'09 on Rhapsody of the Seas to sail. any info would be appreciated.

Sydney to Darwin, port side.
Darwin to Perth, starboard.
Perth to Melbourne, port.
Melbourne to the bottom of NZ, starboard (stern).
South NZ to Auckland, port.
Auckland to Sydney, port side.

Basically you do a full anitclockwise circumnavigation of Australia.
Then head South East to NZ then mostly North East to Auckland and mainly North West to Sydney.
The sun will be setting in the North West part of the compass, sometimes more west than North over the top of Ozzy and then in the Kiwi area it will be a lot more towards the Northern part of that sector.

There in lye's the rub.
Which side do you pick?

Port seems to have the most sunset time.

PS I hope the
Quote:

glass of wine

will be Kiwi and Ozzy wines? :wink:

Fhorchu November 3rd, 2007 10:09 AM

Hi
Thanks for the info and guess what ? we have booked starboard LOL never mind i'm sure we will enjoy anyway, didn't find this site until after we had booked.
On the wine issue a light Chilean Savignon Blanc for the balcony and perhaps a NZ Pinot Noir at dinner - my only gripe is that a high percentage of NZ and Ozzy wines now have screw caps and yep I know it makes no difference to the wine but I just like the wine waiter corkage bit at the table :wink:
thanks again
BJ

Lombard November 4th, 2007 03:28 AM

Quote:

Hi
Thanks for the info and guess what ? we have booked starboard LOL never mind i'm sure we will enjoy anyway, didn't find this site until after we had booked.
On the wine issue a light Chilean Savignon Blanc for the balcony and perhaps a NZ Pinot Noir at dinner - my only gripe is that a high percentage of NZ and Ozzy wines now have screw caps and yep I know it makes no difference to the wine but I just like the wine waiter corkage bit at the table :wink:
thanks again
BJ

BJ, I think that starboard will have a lot of sea views during your trip. The transit to NZ will be 2 to 3 days so lots of sunsets there. LOL

I have a chilean bottle of 1989 special reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from Santa Carolina.
My father laughed when I mentioned it. :shock: