Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Australia/New Zealand
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Passenger

Default Sunny Side of Ship

Hi
Can anyone tell me which would be the best side of ship for evening sun, i.e sitting out on our balcony drinking a glass of wine we will be sailing from Sydney up the east coast then round to Darwin then back down the west coast and round to Melbourne then over to NZ then back to Sydney (35 days) but having to wait until 24 Feb'09 on Rhapsody of the Seas to sail. any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Sunny Side of Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhorchu
Hi
Can anyone tell me which would be the best side of ship for evening sun, i.e sitting out on our balcony drinking a glass of wine we will be sailing from Sydney up the east coast then round to Darwin then back down the west coast and round to Melbourne then over to NZ then back to Sydney (35 days) but having to wait until 24 Feb'09 on Rhapsody of the Seas to sail. any info would be appreciated.
Sydney to Darwin, port side.
Darwin to Perth, starboard.
Perth to Melbourne, port.
Melbourne to the bottom of NZ, starboard (stern).
South NZ to Auckland, port.
Auckland to Sydney, port side.

Basically you do a full anitclockwise circumnavigation of Australia.
Then head South East to NZ then mostly North East to Auckland and mainly North West to Sydney.
The sun will be setting in the North West part of the compass, sometimes more west than North over the top of Ozzy and then in the Kiwi area it will be a lot more towards the Northern part of that sector.

There in lye's the rub.
Which side do you pick?

Port seems to have the most sunset time.

PS I hope the
Quote:
glass of wine
will be Kiwi and Ozzy wines?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Hi
Thanks for the info and guess what ? we have booked starboard never mind i'm sure we will enjoy anyway, didn't find this site until after we had booked.
On the wine issue a light Chilean Savignon Blanc for the balcony and perhaps a NZ Pinot Noir at dinner - my only gripe is that a high percentage of NZ and Ozzy wines now have screw caps and yep I know it makes no difference to the wine but I just like the wine waiter corkage bit at the table
thanks again
BJ
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Hi
Thanks for the info and guess what ? we have booked starboard never mind i'm sure we will enjoy anyway, didn't find this site until after we had booked.
On the wine issue a light Chilean Savignon Blanc for the balcony and perhaps a NZ Pinot Noir at dinner - my only gripe is that a high percentage of NZ and Ozzy wines now have screw caps and yep I know it makes no difference to the wine but I just like the wine waiter corkage bit at the table
thanks again
BJ
BJ, I think that starboard will have a lot of sea views during your trip. The transit to NZ will be 2 to 3 days so lots of sunsets there.

I have a chilean bottle of 1989 special reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from Santa Carolina.
My father laughed when I mentioned it.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!