Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Azamara Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Returned from 11/29 - 12/10 Journey Cruise

I have been deported from South America and am now back in Minnesota. These 80 degree temperature differences are a bit hard to deal with.

I have to say that this, Journey Cruise, was one of the best cruises I have taken. Was everything perfect? No but "almost" everything was.

Azamara is getting their act together and it shows. I'll write a more in depth review tomorrow but I have to encourage everyone who wants a small, but not dead, ship with very good food and service that exceeds Holland America's to give them a try.

I also have to say that if you love lamb then Azamara is the line for you. I love it but a few people did comment that they were "lambed" out.

Don't worry there are plenty of other choices for everyone's taste.

Now it's back to the real world and taking care of three weeks worth of "stuff" around the house.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Beginner

We leave next week for Journey cruise. I am wondering about the shore excursions. Did you only go with Azamara, or did you explore on your own anywhere?
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry for taking so long to respond but some things have had me off the boards.

We did all of our excursions on our own. My wife is originally from Brasil so this made things easier.

I will admit that there wasn't a wide variety of excursions to choose from with Azamara but if you haven't done any pre-planning then I would go ahead and use their excursions.

The cities of Buenos Aires and Montevideo are easy to do on your own. If you want to shop and explore the cities a taxi and a quick look at a guide book will give you a full day of things to do and places to see.

We did a guide in Rio and while the guide could have been better we saw a lot of things. If you just want to do Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf and perhaps go to the beach then I would use Azamara.

IMO: Iguacu Falls are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen but the Azamara excursion is quite expensive at $1400 p.p.. If anyone can go in a few days early or stay a few days after the cruise you can do the Falls on your own, from Sao Paulo, for MUCH less. We went for three days, pre-cruise, and three of us did the falls for about the same price one could have done it with Azamara. We stayed at the same level of hotel and did everything the tour does but not in the hurried manner they did.

No matter what you will enjoy the cruise. Even getting off the ship and grabbing a taxi will give you a wonderful look at Brasil, Montevideo and Buenos Aires.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me