Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Azamara Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default Is Asia worth seeing?

I am looking at some of the Asia itineraries on Azamara and the prices seem very reasonable. I see a 14-day cruise in Frebruary 2011 at just 2850 pp.

That seems like a good price.

What is the weather like? This itinereary goes to

Cruise Ports:Hong Kong, China; Hue (Danang), Vietnam; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Bangkok(Klong Toey),Thailand; Ko Samui, Thailand; Singapore

How much would the airfare to be to Hong Kong and back from Singapore?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Admiral

YES YES YES YES YES

ASIA is DEFINITELY worth seeing!!

All your ports are wonderful. Hopefully your itinerary includes overnights in Hong Kong, Saigon, Bangkok, and Singapore. Weather should be pretty warm but you won't be there during Typhoon season.

Don't have an idea on airfare; partially will be dependent on where you are at. Shouldn't make a difference with the open jaw. I would think $1500 rt would be reasonable. Cruiseline might have good deals on cruise air. Hopefully, Mike will chime in as he was able to get great airfare to Hong Kong not too long ago.

I would definitely recommend this itinerary. We did almost identical trip (Hanoi instead of Ko Samui) in 2005 and loved it.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer View Post
I am looking at some of the Asia itineraries on Azamara and the prices seem very reasonable. I see a 14-day cruise in February 2011 at just 2850 pp.

That seems like a good price.

What is the weather like? This itinerary goes to

Cruise Ports:Hong Kong, China; Hue (Danang), Vietnam; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Bangkok(Klong Toey),Thailand; Ko Samui, Thailand; Singapore

How much would the airfare to be to Hong Kong and back from Singapore?
This one is a no brainer. Yes!!!!

Asia is a beautiful destination and the ports on this itinerary are perfect. I have not done Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore but they are on my MUST CRUISE list.

Hong Kong is a vibrant, interesting and spectacular city. It is easy to get around, great food at very reasonable prices and the best shopping you could ever want. Go to the Temple Street Market and you will find electronics, and other things, that far outshines any Caribbean port. A trip to the Jade Market is also something that is a must do. It is easy to get around. The bus, ferry and subway system are very easy to navigate and almost all signage is in English and Chinese. An overnight is a must here.

In Shanghai you can visit the city, the Temple of the Jade Buddha, the Tea House gardens and many other places. I suggest doing either a private tour or a ship's tour. We did a private guide but the taxi drivers do not speak English so it's a bit harder getting around.

Also: Azamara is the perfect cruise line to go with. Their ships, while smaller, have almost all of the amenities of larger ships and wonderful food, especially in Prime C and Aqualina.

I did airfare that was round trip from Minneapolis for just under $900 but that was three years ago. I just did a cursory check from LAX and you can get round tip air, for this February, for anywhere from $910 - $1200. Not bad! Also check Azamara's air. They often have some great air prices from a variety of locations.

Go for it!!!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thank YOU!

Thank you SO much for your help. This really a friendly message board. You people are really nice and helpful. I am glad I found it.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Familiar Face

I received an email regarding this itinerary and it also caught my eye, especially since my kids just returned from Thailand tonight!

My thoughts:

It is a very long trip. It took them 26 hours in each direction. I don't know if my husband and I are up to that.

I don't know how far the ports are from the places of interest. Would we really get to see a lot?

Although I haven't been on Azamara and I would like to, is this the time to do so? Should be be eating local food instead?

On the other hand, this would be a trip of a lifetime because I really don't know when we would go to Asia.

Any other thoughts or comments?
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Hong Kong, Saigon (assuming you are on a small ship), and Singapore you dock right in the city. Bangkok is very far from the port. If you are overnighting, recommend hotel ashore. For Danang and Hue, you often dock in Chan Mai [sp] that is half way in between; not too bad of bus/car ride.

The flights can be long. If you can swing non-stop to Hong Kong; that makes things easier. We had problems with our flights to Hong Kong and didn't see our bags for 10 days; they arrived in Saigon. From Singapore, there are also non-stop flights back to US.

This is a wonderful trip. Assuming overnights in most ports, you will see a lot. An extra day or two on both ends would also be great. After this cruise, we added on Angkor Wat which was fantastic.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

yes make the trip.

when we made the trip to Asia a few years ago, they had a program that allowed you to spend up to a week at any lay over point when traveling. if you have the time, you will be able to get quite a bit out of the trip.

non stop to South Korea was 15+ hours
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have never considered doing an Asian cruise, but this sounds very interesting and I might consider it in the future.
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Beginner

Very good Price for this tour and the rent is also not more don't worry about it you just enjoy .
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:58 AM
Beginner

Asia is definitely worth seeing. Asia is globe centered highlighted continent. It includes extremely competitive Information Technology. Asian food is based on nutrition, health, and safety for Asian region. It has pleasant weather. Hong Kong is an interesting city. There is Buddha Temple in Shanghai.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Admiral

I for one have no desire to tour Asia but I have family members who have done so many times and will continue to do so
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Beginner

Default Just a suggestion

If you are traveling or planning to travel Asia, I would suggest that you consider visiting the Philippines. There are lots of beautiful spots that are worth seeing. For surfers, Camsur is a great place to be.

Last edited by Liriac; June 2nd, 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: reiterate that this is just a suggestion
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Passenger

Thumbs up Is Asia worth seeing?

Aisa is worth seeing. Very beautiful places in Singapore, China, India.