Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Azamara Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Default Disclosure....

Everybody,

I know that I'm not very active on this board, but I do post here occasionally, so...

By way of full disclosure, I liquidated 40% of my position in Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL), the parent of Azamara Club Cruises, yesterday.

This action has nothing whatsoever to do with anything that took place at the company. I still believe that the company is a great investment, with a lot of room to run, and it is still one of my largest holdings.

Quite simply, I had "backed up the truck" by increasing my position to 5,000 shares when the stock fell below $5.00 per share a bit over a year ago. At its current price in the vicinity of $30.00 per share, this position had grown in value to represent nearly 15% of my portfolio. The principles of sound investment dictated that a rebalancing of the portfolio was long overdue, requiring sale of a substantial part of the position.

I'm still looking forward to cruising aboard Celebrity Cruises and to receiving the stockholders' benefit when doing so. And one of these days, I might give Azamara Club a try.

I'm also continuing to hold 3,000 shares of this company as a long-term investment. I'm looking forward to attending the annual stockholders' meeting in Miami a few months, with the hope that many of you also will be there!

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Rev - I am a much more active trader and I have been in & out of RCL since it was down at 6 as well. It feels good to make that kind of money from cruising, doesn't it? I recommended to people that they buy the stock when it got that low, as it was bound to come back. I recommended it for the shipboard credit, not as an investment (although that was in the back of my mind).

Ironically, it stalled out a couple months ago arong 26 and I moved on, but it has been rallying the last few days and hit 30, like you said.

The reason why it is rallying are many, but a big one is that H1N1 was not nearly the deathblow most street analysts wanted us to believe. The announcements of cruise fares increases, Carnival reinstating the dividend, Oasis not being a flop, other lines ordering more ships, the continued strength of growth in Europe.

I believ the stock will hit at least 50 if not more within a couple years - but people please do not read that as a recommendation. I could change my mind about that at any time and might not tell you that here in these boards.

I was talking to one of the principle founders of Carnival last month, and he said it drives him crazy that Carnival stock has so much more intrinsic value than RCL but it isn't priced significantly higher.

Of course, the stock market is hardly fair that way.

I noticed Google broke through a significant support level at 580 and dropped to 530 in the space of a week. It is now back to its previous support level. That has been my play the last month, along with Apple which has also been on a tear and at an all time high.

I do not "disclose" that I trade in RCL or any other stock because I trade almost daily and don't like to hold stocks when I cannot watch them (I'm not saying that is the best strategy, it is just how I feel). I do pretty well with my trading.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
The reason why it is rallying are many, but a big one is that H1N1 was not nearly the deathblow most street analysts wanted us to believe. The announcements of cruise fares increases, Carnival reinstating the dividend, Oasis not being a flop, other lines ordering more ships, the continued strength of growth in Europe.

I believ the stock will hit at least 50 if not more within a couple years - but people please do not read that as a recommendation. I could change my mind about that at any time and might not tell you that here in these boards.
This stock has been over $70/share in the past, and it has not split. I don't see any reason at all why it can't go back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I was talking to one of the principle founders of Carnival last month, and he said it drives him crazy that Carnival stock has so much more intrinsic value than RCL but it isn't priced significantly higher.

Of course, the stock market is hardly fair that way.
I don't think that this is a question of the stock market being unfair.

One of "Peter's Principles" in Beating the Street by Peter Lynch, the hugely successful manager of Fidelity's "Magellan Fund" a couple decades ago, is: If you like the store, you'll love the stock. Now, he is NOT advocating that one should buy stock in one's favorite store without doing due dilligence. Nonetheless, the reality is that both of the major cruise lines operated by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) have long had "pricing power" fueled by demand in the marketplace that the cruise lines operated by Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL) and Carnival Plc. (LSE: CCL) generally have lacked. It's not uncommon to see Celebrity Cruises itineraries priced a couple hundred dollars higher than similar Princess Cruises itineraries and Royal Caribbean International itineraries priced a couple hundred dollars higher than similar Carnival Cruises itineraries, for example. Such considerations do not go unnoticed in the investing community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I do not "disclose" that I trade in RCL or any other stock because I trade almost daily and don't like to hold stocks when I cannot watch them (I'm not saying that is the best strategy, it is just how I feel). I do pretty well with my trading.
I do understand the impracticality of constant updates, but it probably would be a good idea to put some sort of general notice on the site to the effect that you trade cruise line stocks frequently and may hold varying financial interests from time to time.

Actually, JOTL, it probably would be a good idea to have a space for disclosure of financial interests on each member's profile....

Norm.
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Passenger

I am a small investor of RCCL, I wasn't aware of any stockholder benefits on the cruises. Can you give me some more info on this?

Last edited by Kuki; August 13th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Also is this just with RCCL or are there other benefits on other lines as a stockholder...just curious.

Last edited by Kuki; August 13th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.