Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Dennis Glade

Default Which Line to Use?

My fiancee will be getting married in January. We wanted to take a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean. We are both in our early 40's. There are so many lines and destinations can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Which Line to Use?

HI Dennis,
First off, congrats on the upcomming marriage. Which part of the Caribbean were you interested in cruising in? I personally love the southern, nice beaches, good shopping, etc. I'd suggest Princess, RCCL, and even Holland America. All are different in their own way and all give you a great cruise expierence. You should find an itinary that you want to do and then check the various lines and see what ships are going where you want to go. Once you have that all figured out you may want to post in the bargain finder here at cruisemates to find the right one. Be sure to put all the information about the cruise into it, include city you are flying out of if you want air included in the price. You will then get prices e-mailed to you, so its really easy and hassle-free. Good luck.

<one.http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm>

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 14th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Dennis Glade

Thanks, Donna. We are thinking of the southern Caribbean. (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico). I had heard that RC and Princess were very good. But when I did some research I found that the clientele is older, 50+. Particularly on the Princess. Is this true? My wife (to be) enjoy night life and dancing. Would Carnival be better?
Old September 14th, 2000, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Hi Dennis,
Carnival would also be fine expecially if you are into the party scene. Depending on when you are cruising will make a big difference on the ages of the cruisers.
Our last cruise on Princess this year was during spring break, lots of kids, families, teens etc. I think the age will be more noticable on Princess, Royal Caribbean has a bit younger passenger than Princess. If you are really into a classy and service ships Princess was great and the food was excellent.

Sounds line you're interested in the western itinary, be sure to go snorkel with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. You also mentioned Mexico, is that Cozumel? Hope this helps a bit to narrow the search down, you'll love cruising. Let me know what ship you finally decide on and enjoy everything.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 14th, 2000, 08:40 PM
Pamela M

Donna--

This post suggests that your 'last cruise with Princess' was during spring break 2000. But then on another one of your recent posts it indicates you are a first time cruiser with Princess. The distinction between your first and last cruise with Princess is confusing. Perhaps my day has been too long, and I just am not processing your information clearly. Please help me out.

How many cruises have you been on, and with what cruiselines? Are you a travel agent? Reason I ask is a typical question in your posts to others is 'let me know what ship you finally decide on'. Also, are you a Cruisemates.com staff member? Some of your posts give that impression so I just wanted some clarification since your name is not officially listed on the Cruisemates.com website.

I am certainly not challenging your right to post an opinion on this or any other board. I am just unclear on the information you are providing. I thank you in advance for clarification. Have you sailed on the Carnival Cruiseline to support your theory of the 'party scene' suggested in your post? Have you sailed Royal Caribbean to compare the age range of passengers against the other cruiselines you mention?

Thanks for your attention to my post!
Pamela
Old September 14th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Hi Pam,
Sorry for any confussion. Our first and so far only Princess cruise was on Ocean this past spring and yes there were plenty of families and teens. Actually our first cruise was on Premier, which we loved, our kids were small then and also enjoyed it. Was really sorry to hear all the problems they are having these days. I do hope to try out Celebrity in the near future, but so far haven't been on Carnival, but the couple that was asking said they were in there 40's, but like to go out late dancing, etc and they think that Princess and Royal Caribbean are just for old folks, which I didn't agree with at all. Yes, have been on Rhapsody of the Seas last year and Majesty of the Seas many years ago, booked on Explorer next year and can't wait. Actually my list of cruises increases daily, just don't have that much vacation time etc, but would also like to do the new Carnival Spirit at some point. What cruise are you going on soon?

Hope this answers your questions and I host the chat here on Tuesday, we have
them every week day and would love to have you join us, nope not a travel agent, just love to talk cruise and do them when ever we can:-) So, come on and chat if you feel like it, its fun.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 15th, 2000, 06:17 PM
Pamela M

Thanks Donna for the clarification, and for the invite to chat. Perhaps I'll 'see' you next week. I do now see your name under Tuesday chat. Have a nice weekend!

Pamela
Old September 15th, 2000, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Hi Pamela,
Just noticed they changed the name from Sealover to Donna, but thats me anyway :-) If you have any cruise questions, be sure to post again and you too have a nice week-end.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 15th, 2000, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Dennis,

At 43, I have taken five (5) cruises with Princess and am now looking forward to #6 on 30 October. I have not had any difficulty meeting people my own age and younger aboard any Princess cruise. The mean age may be fifty-something, but the standard deviation (which measures the spread of values) is quite large. Also, quite a few of the reviews note that the ages tend to be considerably younger on cruises to the Caribbean, to Alaska, and to the Mexican Riviera. Nonetheless, I met plenty of younger people even aboard MV Grand Princess in the Mediterranean last year.

For a honeymoon cruise, I think that either Princess would be an excellent choice. Either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity would be viable alternatives.

Since the cruise will be your honeymoon, you might want to book a full suite for the occasion if your means permit.

Norm.
Old September 16th, 2000, 06:53 PM
Mary Lou

Dennis:
Having only sailed on Celebrity, I can only offer advise on this line. We have sailed Celebrity twice and have the third Celebrity cruise booked for Jan. 2001.
There were all ages on both of the cruises we took (Galaxy and Mercury). On the last cruise, Mercury-Western Caribbean, we had a honeymoon couple at our dinner table every night. They were in their early-mid 20's and had a wonderful time. I asked them on the last night if they would cruise Celebrity again and they both said DEFINATELY. There is plenty of night life on these ships, from the
small intimate setting to the night club. I personally am so tired from all the daily activity on the ship that I never make it past 11 p.m. The honeymoon couple actually said the same thing on a few nights.
I am sure that whatever line you choose, you will have a wonderful time. All cruises are what you make them. Enjoy!!
Old September 17th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Dawn Stefano

If money was no object, I'd pick Windstar for a honeymoon in the Southern Caribbean. Their smaller ships sail to less visited ports, and their casual dress, open seating dining and romantic atmosphere are ideal for honeymooners of all ages. However, nightlife is minimal, so if you like to party and dance until the wee hours these ships are not for you. Most passengers retire to their cabins following after-dinner drinks.

In the Eastern or Western Caribbean, you can't go wrong with Princess. They are, after all, "The Love Boats!" Their ships offer lots of variety, good food, nightlife, and plenty of activities and entertainment. They also have an excellent shore excursion program.

Congratulations and let us know what you decide!
Old September 18th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Dennis Glade

Thank you everyone! Your suggestions were all very helpful and it is obvious to me that "cruisers" are quite a family---looking out for each other. We decided to sail on the Princess to the Western Caribbean sailing on Jan 20. Seeing as it is our honeymoon and our first time cruising we are both looking forward to the experience with a great deal of anticipation. I am sure we will not be disappointed.
Old September 18th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Hi Dennis,
Glad to hear you picked an itinary and a ship. BTW, which Princess ship are you going on? I think you will be real happy with the cruise, enjoy.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 22nd, 2000, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Donna,

MV Sea Princess has the Western Caribbean itinerary next year. You and I would be right at home aboard that vessel, as she's an identical sister to MV Ocean Princess. The only discernable differences between the two vessels are the collection of original art and the names of some of the public spaces.

Norm.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Dennis,

Congratulations on selecting both a fantastic ship (MV Sea Princess) and a fantastic itinerary for your first cruise! I have taken that cruise twice (the first time aboard MV Sun Princess and the second time aboard MV Sea Princess) and would do it again in a heartbeat.

MV Sea Princess and her sisters are my favorite ships to date. The facilities and the common rooms are excellent, and they offer a fantastic selection of evening activities. There's usually dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar with two live combos from 5:00 PM until 1:00 AM, and the disco (Rocky's aboard MV Sea Princess) usually cranks up around 11:00 (the room usually hosts Karioke earlier in the evening) and runs well into the wee hours.

The ports of call on that itinerary offer four different but very wonderful experiences. I have posted comments about all of them in other threads on this site, so I won't bother to repeat that information here unless you have specific questions.

Congratulations again on your wedding and honeymoon plans, and best wishes to you and your bride for many years of happy marriage!

Norm.