Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2000, 09:41 PM
Jane & John

Default best port activities

We will be taking back to back cruises on the Celebrity Cruises Millenium 2/4/01 & 2/11/01 Eastern & Western Carribean. By reading everyone's messages we've decided to go over to St. John's when in port at St. Thomas. Tell us about the other must see locations at any of the ports we will be stopping in. San Juan? Grand Cayman? Catalina Casa De Campo?
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Default RE: best port activities

If one of your ports is Calica, Mexico, Xcaret is a must in my opinion. It is just beautiful there. Actually, there isn't much else to do in Calica. Xcaret is an ecopark with snorkeling, swiming, butterfly reserve, turtles, some ruins. Just about everything.
Old September 19th, 2000, 10:09 PM
Jane & John

Thanks for the information. We had looked at websites about Xcaret and it's most definately on our list.
Old September 20th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi John and Jane,
Just another one to add to the list of "must do's" is Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, its amazing and you don't want to miss this one, enjoy.

Donnassei/SEalover
Old September 24th, 2000, 04:28 PM
Dawn Stefano

San Juan: Old San Juan, where the ship's dock, is the best place to soak up the atmosphere. Visit El Morro and some of the other historical sites, visit the shops and dine on some local cuisine. The El Yunque rainforest is also a good way to spend a few hours.

Grand Cayman: The only real must-do here is Stingray City. It's a blast! If you're a beach lover, Seven Mile Beach is gorgeous.

Dominican Republic: I'm not sure about Catalina. Casa De Campo is a nice resort and there are some beautiful beaches at La Romana. Near the resort is a place called Altos de Chavon, which houses a reproduction of a 15th century Spanish village and a number of shops selling locally produced crafts.

St. John is definitely the right choice for your St. Thomas call. Have fun!
Old September 29th, 2000, 02:20 AM
Jane & John

Thanks for the information... know we will have a blast on our cruise!!!
Old September 29th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

Will be on Sun Princess end of November departing from San Juan with stops in St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba, Cartagena, & Puntarenas and of course going thru the Panama Canal. Wonder if anyone out there has had an experiences in any of these ports or onboard ship they would like to share. This is our first cruise. Thanks
Old September 29th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lori,
Thought you might like to read about "Sun Princess", here's a link for you.
Hope you enjoy your first cruise and will cruise again in the future. I really enjoyed by first Princess cruise earlier this year, you're in for a treat.

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/tours/princess/princess_sunseadawn.cfm>

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 2nd, 2000, 07:42 PM
Judy Lofland

There is a free trolley in San Juan about two blocks from the pier. It makes a loop of the old city so you can get off and on as you like. Great for sightseeing. It stops on Calle Forteleza for the obligatory shopping too. You can visit both forts and see some of the great architecture for free. That is the best part. Happy sailing.

Judy
Old October 6th, 2000, 06:54 PM
augie

Lori,

If you don't mind huffing and puffing some, and you're in decent physical shape, I'd highly recommend the hike to Middleham Falls on Dominica. There is quite a bit of hiking through a rainforest, about 1 1/2 hours each way, but it is incredible, bug-free rain forest, and the falls are beautiful! Bring a swimsuit!

On Barbados, if you'd like to go off on your own, take a cab to Lonestar restaurant (be sure to stop on the way there to buy some flyingfish). You can snorkle off the beach behind the restaurant, and use the flyingfish to feed the sea turtles that are often there, as well as the fish.
Then, enjoy a "lonestar special" (yummy rum drink) while you watch the sun slip beneath the horizon.

Sigh, wish we were going with you!
Old October 12th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Admiral

In St. Thomas if you have not been to St. John's take the Red Hook ferry or just take a taxi to Maegen's Bay. In Barbados, take a ship's tour that included the Caves. They are magnificent and it is very modern for a Caribbean Island. Aruba is my all time favorite for taking the bus to the Palm beach ($2.pp RT), upon return to town you can shop or gamble and if you are there at night be sure to stop into Iguana Joe's, Senor Frog's or Carlos & Charlies. At Puntenaras, Costa Rica, take the ship's tour to the Coribaci River rafting including lunch. If there are two tours/times of departure, pick the later as you will get to eat lunch first. They must wait for the 1st group to get out of the River and that group will be starving! Where do you disembark?
We have sailed the Sea Princess and I know you will love the ship.
Bon Voyage
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:51 AM
Passenger

Default RE: best port activities/trolley

Hi judy, How do we find the trolley? is it labeled? where 2 blocks from the pier?
Thanks, web
Old October 22nd, 2000, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Lori,

I'm departing on the reverse itinerary on the 30th of this month, so I'll report back in a couple weeks. The only port to which I have been before is St. Thomas, where I booked the "Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John" again. (Yes, it was that good!)

Norm.
Old December 13th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Spotted your mention of Casa de Campo - and, yes, it is a very interesting area. Most interesting and quite intimidating when arriving on the tender is the sight of the Dominican patrol boats in harbor...heavy guns at the ready!!! Very busy main town at the port, but seemed to be heavily patroled by policia and reasonably safe. Never could quite shake the feeling of seeing all that firepower in the harbor and on the streets, though.
Old January 19th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Cal

Default RE: best port activities/trolley

Looking for more details on this idea, Any more specifics on where to catch this trolley ???webb wrote:
>
> Hi judy, How do we find the trolley? is it labeled? where 2
> blocks from the pier?
> Thanks, web
Old April 20th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Dana&James

One activity that I have not seen mentioned is the Atlantis Submarine at Grand Cayman. We did this last summer and it was fantastic! You go graduallyn down to as far as 100 ft. down and get to see some of the most spectacular coral, fish, and other sea life. It was well narrated, good viewing, air conditioned, and pressurized, so you stay very comfortable during the ride. All this and you never get wet, so it is really great for those who don't scuba, let alone swim (ie my husband). When we went they even threw in a video of the dive and some of the sights in Grand Cayman. One note though, if you take your own camcorder be sure to put it in a plastic baggie, we didn't think about this and we were unable to film anything due to the change in temp. and humidity, our camera went into shut down mode.
Old January 28th, 2002, 12:35 AM
hockeywife

Default Re: best port activities

Hi! Read your message on Cruisemates message board and saw that you had the exact same question I did re: what to do at Catalina Island, D.R.? We are going in March on Millenium, and are very curious about what to do there? We can't seem to find out much about it. We actually would love to scuba dive and are wondering if there are any operators there? You may not know, but I thought you might have some pointers to pass on from what you learned on your trip?? Thank you in advance for any help you might have to give!