Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2000, 09:07 AM
kacey

Default dolphin encounters, cozumel

hi folks!

i'm interested in the dolphin 'encounters' in cozumel. i read a review here that said in the 'swim' package you get in the water with the dolphins, but in the 'enounter' package you may be restricted to a platform near them.

anyone out there that's had this experience...is that the case?
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2000, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: dolphin encounters, cozumel

Hi Kacey,
Yes, have heard that is how it works, different prices for the different expierence that you choose. It is pricey, but some say well worth the money.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 28th, 2000, 08:55 AM
kacey

thanks for the info! =)
Old October 5th, 2000, 10:37 PM
Paul Beardmore

I was at Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel in March, and can tell you exactly what the difference is. For $95, we got to get IN the water with the dolphin onto a platform that was about 3 feet deep. The dolphin would swim by us (at the commands of the instructor), and we got to pet the dolphin, and have our photos taken with it. We did NOT get to actually go out and swim with the dolphin.

In the next holding area, people got a very different experience. They were in the water with the dolphin, and the dolphin actually pushed the feed of people, so they were driven through the water by the dolphin (hard to explain, but it was really neat). My understanding was that the people in that section paid about $30 more than we did. We were not offered that option by Norwegian Cruise Lines, and would have gladly paid the extra. Be very careful about signing up for this tour on the ship - it is pitched "swim with the dolphins", but it is somewhat deceiving. The thing is, you can take a cab to Dolphin Discovery, and pay to go to the other section that we missed.

By the way - Dolphin Discovery was very impressive, even without the dolphins. The beach was VERY well done, and had a restaurant there for lunch, as well as GOOD snorkling experience there. I wouldn't hesitate to go there and spend the day. If you like to party and dance to the 70/80s disco, go to Carlos & Charlies - it is a BLAST!

Regards,
Paul Beardmore
Old October 9th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Ug

Dolphin Discovery Cozumel is $119. It's not offered by Carnival as an excursion, you have to book it yourself. Cab is around $8. Admission to Channakanabb (whatever) Pk. is about $10. Swims ar 10, 12, 2 and 4. You have to book it in advance. I'm going on Oct 29. (12 pm swim).

Need anymor einfo, just give me a shout.
Old November 12th, 2000, 10:22 PM
First Mate

This site has prices for those wishing to book themselves. http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/~dol...in/secindex.pl
Old February 2nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
alesia

Default Re: dolphin encounters, cozumel

What ever you do don't go on line and read about the options for yourself. By all means take the advice of strangers.