Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry
Default St. Thomas Ferries

My husband and I are planning on going snorkeling on St. John on our own after reading the recommendations from people on several BBs. I see on the St. Thomas site that there are two ferries to St. John, one from Charlotte Amalie and one from Red Hook. Isn't Charlotte Amalie where the Sun Princess docks? Wouldn't it be easier just to take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie to St. John or is taking a taxi to Red Hook the best way to go?

I'd also love to hear from anyone on their preference for either Cinnamon Bay or Trunk Bay for snorkeling. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: St. Thomas Ferries

Hi Sherri,
We took the Red Hook ferry over to St. Johns and I think the only difference between the 2 different ferries is that its a shorter ferry ride from Red Hook. They run them every hour, so its pretty convient. WE've only gone to Trunk Bay, which is just beautiful, but have also heard that Cinammon is quite nice too.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 12th, 2000, 04:20 PM
hdawson

Same here. Have only done Trunk Bay in fact was there week before last. Truely a pic post card come to life. Frankly I enjoy the taxi ride as it affords you a view of some of the island. Ferry at Red Hook is only $3 and a 20 minute pleasant ride. I also like to stop in Mongoose junction to shop a little and have a cup of real coffee, after the terrible coffee substitute on every cruise ship I've been on.
Have a ball. BTW, if you need snorkle gear, it can be rented at Trunk Bay for only $4.00. I also have some Virgin Islands websites.
Old November 14th, 2000, 08:31 PM
Darrell

Sherry,

I just found the cruisemates boards but I posed the same questions you are asking on another board. Here's the address.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/forums...=55779&t=55779

Also, when are you going? We'll be on the Grand Jan. 7. We could hook up and do St. John in style. The Watermelon Cay site mentioned in the thread above sounds great. For now, we've booked the Champagne Catamaran tour. We may change our mind when we get on board.

I think the biggest issue is when do you get off the boat. The ferry runs from Charlotte Amalie at 9:00 and is 45 mins to Cruz Bay. We arrive in port at 7 so we might be able to make the 8 or 9:00 ferry from Red Hook. You'll get a lot of extra time if you get there for the 8:00 and about 30 minutes if you are on the 9:00 from Red Hook.

Here's the ferry schedule,

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/ferries.html

Darrell