Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Nikki
Default Cozumel and Calica

I need some suggestions for the best places to snorkel at these to ports. I'm trying to decide whether to take a tour our strike out on our own and snorkel by ourselves.
Which is better and what reefs, beach, or specific areas would you suggests?
We have snorkeled 4 or 5 times but not recently.
We sail in November!! We are definitely counting down!
Thanks
mailman@elp.rr.com
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Cozumel and Calica

Hi Nikki,
In Cozumel you can take a cab to Chankanaab park for some good snorkeling.
Its very easy to do on your own. The cruise ships usually have a tour there, but its one of those that you can do yourself, if you'd rather. Having never been to Calica, sorry can't help you there. We found a few cruises back that having our own snorkeling equipment was the way to go, we picked up mask snorkel and fins for around $50.00 and has pretty much paid for themselves, you may want to consider that, but they also rent the equipment at Chankanaab park. Enjoy the cruise.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 7th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Paul Beardmore

Default Don't Forget The Life Vest!

Donna recommended purchasing your own snorkel equipment, but forgot to mention the inflateable life vest. I highly recommend this, especially when snorkeling on your own. Without the vest, your snorkel experience is more tiring, because you have to kick your feet harder to stay afloat.

Paul
Old October 7th, 2000, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Don't Forget The Life Vest!

Hi Paul,
Yes, you brought up a good point. I like using the life vest just for that reason, I can snorkel for a loooong time with one and I feel safer with it on. Thanks for bringing that tip up :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 8th, 2000, 08:39 PM
Ug

Hi Nikki!
I just got back this wknd, and I would highly recommend Chanknaab Park for Snorkeling. It's an $8. Cab (4 people will fit in Cab) ride from the Pier and it's not a long ride. It's $10. per person to get in the Park., but the park is very beautiful, and offers some other things as well, History of Park, Sea Lion ShowLagoon, and ya can even swim with the dolphins.

For snorkeling, they have a couple religous type monuments in the water that you can swim to. They have some religous purpose, but I can't remember what they were about ;-(.
Old November 17th, 2000, 09:07 PM
boblick

Dear Nikki:
When are you going to Cozumel and what cruise are you taking? We are going the 11/20 cruise on NCL majesty. I had been to Chankonaab state last cruise and had a ball. It's a sure thing good time. Dont do the ship tour as they will cart you back to town in about two hours. You can stay as long as you want while own your own and save about $50.00 a couple...spend that cash at the grass hut on beer and fruitty drinks! I may be adventurous and check out playa san fransico before hitting state park just to see if it as good. If not it's only a short trip back to chankanaab.
Bob