Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2000, 01:04 AM
Murt

Default St Johns

Would like to go to St John then head back to St Thomas to do some shopping. Do you think there is enough time in the day to do both?
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2000, 08:04 AM
hdawson

Default RE: St Johns

Absolutely. That's what I always do. St Johns and Trunk Bay are my favorites and was there three weeks ago. Just gorgeous. I also like to stop by Mongoose Junction and have a cup of real coffee. So good after drinking what the cruise ships serve as coffee. Have a ball. Wish I was going with ya.
Old October 20th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Murt,
I have to agree with Hdawson, there is plenty of time to do both, but get an early start in the morning. If you head over to St. JOhns you will beat all the tours that will end up there. There are also taxi's waiting there to take you back to the ferry and they run every hour, so be sure to allow time for the traveling.

When you get back to St. Thomas if time is running short, you can shop right by the pier in the mall there, same stores as downtown. Have heard that the prices are cheaper downtown, but on our last trip I couldn't tell much of a difference.
Have fun and make sure you get over to St. JOhns, its really paradise, enjoy.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 20th, 2000, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

Hi,
I personaly think that there is not enough time- to do both Islands in one day. The streets on St Thomas are loaded with hidden shops and neat people. St John is just as jam packer with things to do. If you have to both in one day I would so St Thomas in the morning, early afternoon and then go to St John and enjoy the night life. There is no night life in St Thomas!

-Melanie
Old October 22nd, 2000, 12:19 AM
hdawson

Melanie must be talking about another St Johns. Not the one in the USVI. Very little what you would call night life on St Johns, USVI. I always go to Trunk Bay early (upon arrival) and spend half the day there before going back to St Thomas for shopping. Of couse two thirds of St Johns is National Park so very little commercial developement there. If you need it I have some websites for the Virgin Island and in particular, St John. Includes ferry schedules.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 12:38 AM
Murt

Could you please send me the information regarding St John's? Think we will go to Trunk Bay first thing then go back to St Thomas. Ferry schedule would be very helpful. If you catch one of the first ferrys out, are they usually pretty crowed and you might not get on?

Thank you the info.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:42 AM
web

Which ferry, the one from Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook? And if Red Hook, how much & how long to get there?

HS- web
Old October 22nd, 2000, 09:12 AM
hdawson

St Johns is like a paradise on earth. Hope this site helps with your planning. Haven't had any problem getting on the ferry. Both local residents and tourists use it and it runs hourly. There is really no reason to do the ship's tour. Cab to
Red Hook is about 20 minutes and I find interesting. http://www.stjohnsvi.com/
The opening page picture is of Trunk Bay. Have a great time.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Murt,

Last spring, I took the "Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John" -- which I highly recommend, in spite of its $96 price tag -- during a cruise aboard MV Ocean Princess. This "shore excursion" returned to the ship's pier at 3:00, which left plenty of time for shopping in Charlotte Amilie before the ship's departure.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old November 4th, 2000, 07:06 PM
Steve Parker

I would be very interested in the web sites you mentioned to hdawson. We are cruising the eastern caribbean in a week. We have been to St. Thomas and Megan's Bay several times and would like to try Trunk Bay on St. John's. Are there cabs at Trunk Bay to get you back to the ferry? Do you know how much the cabfare is? How is the snorkeling?.

Thanks
Old November 4th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Steve,
Yes, there are cabs at the pier in St. Johns to take you to the beaches, in fact there are plenty, no problem. If I remember correctly the cab was around $5.00 each way and the cost of admission in to Trunk Bay was $4.00. As for the snorkeling, its usually very good and the beach is just picture postcard beautiful.
Remember to purchase an underwater camera at home before you go, it will be twice the price once you get there. I'm sure you love the island of St. Johns :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 5th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Murt,
Sure you can do it in a day, just start out nice and early, the Ferry's run every hour and cabs are not a problem. If time is running short you can do the shopping right at the pier, all the major stores have anchor stores there. You'll really love St. Johns, well worth the time, have a great time. Before you leave, be sure to buy some underwater camera's, they are almost double the price once you get to these islands.

Donnassei/Sealover