Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Ug

Default Dolphin Swim vs Dolphin Encounter, Cozumel

On Oct. 29/00 I finally met up with the Cozumel Dolphins ;-))

Dolphin Encounter offered by Ship
Price: $99. Gets you Transportation to and from Park, Entrance to Park. You get to pet the dolphin 3 or 4 times, then ya get a Kiss from them. Whole time your standing up to waist on a platform in the water. This excursion (from what I seen, yes I watched it happen) has about 40-50 people in the water at one time. I think you also get to watch a video about the dolphins beforehand.

Dolphin Swim (You book on your own, and should do so at least a month beforehand).
Price: $119. + $16. Cab (to and from ship) + $10. Park Entrance Fee. = $145.
Swims are scheduled 10, 12, 2, & 4.
You are in a much smaller group 6 people Max. For starters you do everything the encounter people do, then you actually get in the water with the dolphins.
First trick was the foot push (Two Dolphins come up from behind you and push you by your feet through the water). Then, the dolphins swim up from behind you and you grab their Dorsel fins and they tow you through the water. Each trick is about 10-15 secs in duration. (Fun watching everyone else do it though, then sharing the excitement while waiting on the platform) ;-). Last trick, you and another person hold up a bar, and the dolphins jump over it and you, 3-4 times. Last 10-15 minutes, is a free swim with the dolphins where it's just the 6 people and the dolphins swimming around in the water. Dolphins darted in and out amongst us, every 30 secs getting a fish break :-) They get close enough that ya think ya can pet them, then they dart away (laughing at us for the the most part). Ya just don't appreciate how agile they are (and how un-agile humans are ;-) till ya get in the water.
When you finished, they then show you a video of your whole swim , $49. for it. Very hard to turn it down when you've just experienced a thrill of a life time. Also, Pictures are $12. each. If ya buy more than one, the price drops.

Was it worth it?? To me the Swim was, I've been fascinated with Dolphins since I was 4 yrs old. The Dolphin encounter was not worth the $$ to me.

Any questions just email me, more than happy to try and answer them.
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2000, 07:19 AM
Mary Lou

Default RE: Dolphin Swim vs Dolphin Encounter, Cozumel

Ug,
Thanks for the comparison....it is nice to know the difference.
I bet swimming with the dolphins was a thrill.
Old November 19th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Hi,
Going to W.Caribbean in July - we are very interested in the dolphin swim and will also book it on our own. Would you recommend it wholeheartedly??
Old November 19th, 2000, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nance,
Yes, you can and should book that one on your own. I'm in the process now for an April cruise, but in the Nassau. From what I hear these do book up fast, so best start checking it out now. I know its really expensive, but when else can you do something like this?? Have fun.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 19th, 2000, 10:27 PM
Ug

I would agree wholeheartedly if you love Dolphins (you never done it before) and your as fascinated by them as I am :-)) I'd suggest booking at least a month in advance, if not sooner.

I'd also highly suggest the Grand Cayman String Ray swim. It in some ways is even more exciting/incredible than the Dolphin swim.

Now, would I do either one again. Yes, to the Sting Ray but no to the Dolphins, just because of Cost. $32.for Sting Ray compared to $129. (plus $16. for Cab) for the Dolphins. If they were both $32. I'd take the Dolphins!!!
Old November 20th, 2000, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Default Dolphin Swim in Nassau

Just got a confirmed reservation for the Dolphin Swim in Nassau for our Explorer cruise. Anyone have any information on this one? We're supposed to go to a booth on Paradise island ferry terminal on Marina Drive. Anyone know the best way to get there?? Thanks for any infor on this :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 10th, 2000, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Default RE: Dolphin Swim in Nassau

We did this in November, you can either get a taxis to Paradise Island or there are several small boats which take you straight over to Paradise Islands it only takes about 10 mins by boat and there is normally a local guide onboard who tells you abit about the island and the houses that you pass by on the boat its only $3 each, and it is only a 2 minute walk from where the boat docks to the booking office and where you catch the boat for Dolphin Encounters from. We took the ferry boat to Paradise Island and a taxis back but much prefered the boat, it looked abit rickerty but the local people which run them are very friendly and made it fun. Hope this helps i'm sure you will enjoy it we were lucky and got Maciver who was the main Dolphin in the film "Flipper" , If you want anymore info please e-mail me.
Debbie.
Old December 10th, 2000, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Dolphin Swim in Nassau

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for all the taxi info in Nassau. How did you like the dolphin swim itself? Is it worth it? Thanks again.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 21st, 2000, 12:38 PM
First Mate

Do you have contact info for the Dolphin swim.
Old December 21st, 2000, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Hi Debbie,
Not sure what you mean by contact information for the swim?? I did get all the information from the web-site so far?? Thanks for your directions, sounds pretty easy to get to.

Donnassei
Old December 28th, 2000, 11:53 PM
Mike Mastellar

Debbie:
The website for the Dolphin Swim in Nassau is: www.dolphinswims.com. It is a wonderful experience and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I did it in October and will never forget it.

Take Care and Enjoy the Dolphins;
Mike
Old May 12th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Dolphin Swim vs Dolphin Encounter, Cozumel

Hi,
I know this is along time in passing, but just scheduled a cruise on the Summit and will be going to Cozumel for fourth time. I never realized that they had a dolphin encounter. To say the least I am thrilled. Do you have the contact for arranging this on my own. Any info would be greatly appreciated.