Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2000, 08:33 PM
we'resoexcited

Default St.Lucia / St. Kitts

Has anyone had any bad experience witht the residents of these countrys? I have read in previous messages that they hound people for rides and tours. Is this true? What would you recommend to do in these islands.
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: St.Lucia / St. Kitts

Hi Excited,
Our last cruise on Ocean Princess at St. Kitts we went into town and shared a taxi and went out to Turtle Beach. Its a really nice scenic ride and the driver will stop at certain points so you can take pics, really beautiful. The beach was about 45 minutes away, but all in all a nice beach day. There were all these cute little monkeys that you could feed peanuts to there too.
We pre-arranged with the driver to come back at a certain time to take us back to the ship, and his word was good, he was there at the right time.
Just make sure you all agree on the price before you take off, we only paid him half when he dropped us off and the balance when he returned. I wouldn't say they hound you for cabs, but you sure know you can get one if needed :-) Have a great cruise.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 20th, 2000, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Just returned from the Ocean Princess yesterday. For St. Lucia I would recommend the Catamaran thing to the Pitons. We did the Best of by Land & Sea & were very disapointed with the Land part. The natives were friendly but the roads are in pretty bad shape & so are the shocks on alot of the buses & vans. There is still alot of poverty on this island.
St. Kitts was our favorite stop on this cruise- we did the New Waves snorkel- the catamaran you want to be on is the Irie Lime- this crew went WAY above & beyond to make sure everyone had an excellent time. This was one of THE most fun things I have ever done. The crew has everyone take off their shoes before boarding, but don't be afraid . .
Holler if you have any questions . . .happy sailing- web
pew@tecinfo.com
Old November 25th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Hi,

I was on the Ocean Princess earlier this month so I visited both ports. The folks in St. Lucia seem to be pushy about providing taxi service. The more distance you put between you and the ship, the cheaper the price gets. If you just want to see Castries and are in good health, walk the short distance into town. If not, use the small boat service (costs $1-- don't pay more-- each way). The most important things to see in town are all easy walking distance. If you want to go to a nice beach, take a cab to the Rex St. Lucian Hotel.
Things seem less pressing in St. Kitts. If you'd like to see some of the island and go to a beach, get a cab (leave the ship and walk to "The Circus" to get the cab) and go to Turtle Beach. It's a nice drive there and the beach is different than most with monkeys hanging around looking for food and going into beach bags looking for it. From this beach you can also see Nevis! Arrange with the cab driver to pick you up at a specified time and he'll return as promised. Pay only after you get back to the ship or downtown area of Basseterre.

Norm
Old November 28th, 2000, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Default Our St Lucia Experience

We just came back from a wonderful cruise, and St Lucia was the highlight of the whole week. We had made up our minds beforehand that the 4 of us wanted a private tour of the island, we asked to be taken to the volcano and to see the pitons. This was a 4 hour trip and cost us $30. ea. , very well worth it. We saw others in simular vans, that were crammed in together like sardines. We each had our own row so we could see a unobstucted view of each side of the road. Our driver's name was Aaron, we really like him. I asked the driver how often he has to replace his brakes? Every 3 months! I believe it, we were going to rent our own car and am so glad we didn't, parking was terrible for people in cars, and they had to do a lot of walking uphill to view the volcano, sulfur fumes are nasty! I found the local people very pushy when trying to sell their wares, and folks its not a necklace made from the volcano, its brazillian hematite, I am a mineral and gemstone fan and so know my stuff, I told one guy "its Hematite", and he backed off. But they were hanging in the van windows, we told the driver to take us outta here. Don't recommend driving on this island, as they have only these very deep gutters, 2 feet deep, to drain off the water on the roads, very easy to get distracted and dropped off into one.