Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2000, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Default Extreme activities

My 16 year old son and I will be doing back to back eastern/western cruises on the Century in August 2001. We had a blast in Alaska doing the unusual and wish to do the same in the Caribbean. We have thought about Tarzan jeep rentals, para sailing, spelunking, and of course snorkeling. Anyone know of some MUST DOs for us?
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2000, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Extreme activities

Hi Judy,
Just make sure to take your son to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, he'll love it.
Also a trip over to St. Johns from St. Thomas will be a great beach day and its beautiful. I did notice a lot of people para-sailing in Jamaica right by the cruise ships and of course a trip to Dunns Rivers Falls while in Jamaica is also fun.
The is a good park in Cozumel to snorkel called Chankanaab Park. You can catch a cab at the pier to take you over. Have a great cruise :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 14th, 2000, 02:17 AM
First Mate

Donna,

Thanks for the great ideas. We can't wati to go!
Old November 14th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Ug

The Surprise Shore Excursion for me, Couple weeks ago I did the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel, and Sting Ray City In GC. But the Biggest surpirse adventure was the Dunns Falls/Ocean Kayak Tour. The Falls is nice, but it's wuite an easy climb and is packes with other Cruiser's, the Kayaking however turned into a thrill of a lifetime.

Started out slow, I was in with one of the guides and we acted as a resuce boat at the back of the fleet (20 - 2 person Sit-on-Top Kayaks), but I wanted to at least get a good workout from this ;-( . Anyhow we stopped at this famous beach, they shot the James Bond Movie "Dr. No" at this beach, for snacks and drinks, play in the water a bit. When we went to get back in the kayaks they asked if I would mind switching to s Single Kayak (guess they could tell I had paddled before ;-)
So, into the Single Kayak I got and this is when it got adventurous. We had to paddle around this point (up to this point we were in between a breakwater and the ocean). This point had 10-15ft waves rolling in off it, well we had to paddle through these waves!!!! Because if you tried to stay close to shore it got more turbulent.

Well, I was now at the lead of the pack and in my Glory trying to surf these waves with the Kayak (not standing up in them, just having the wave push you along in the Kayak). Well, there were about a half a dozen kayaks playing in these waves and we were having a Blast! After about 30 minutes we were tired out and headed into shore. Now we were too busy to see what was happening behind us, but when we got on shore we noticed about 4-5 kayaks flipped over (all close to the point), one high on the rocks, people in the water with the Rescue boat trying to get them all in safely. Took about an hour after we got in to get everyone else in. Few of them were scraped up pretty good as well. Some woman were not really impressed with the guys that took them on this excursion ;-((

But if you like adventure and not afraid of the water (should be in fairly decent shape as well) this is THE excursion to do!!! I LOVED it!!!!!
Old November 14th, 2000, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Ug,

This is exactly the kind of excursion we are looking for! We went kayaking twice in Alaska because we enjoyed it so much. Where can I book this excursion? Can I book it myself? Can we still climb the falls, too?

Judy
Old November 15th, 2000, 09:47 PM
Ug

Hi Judy! I booked it on the ship (Carnival Victory), can't remember which Cruise line your going with. You might want to check with them to see if it's an excursion they offer. It cost me $68. but was well worth it :-))) I'm sure you could book it on your own, but I wouldn't have any idea how %-((

And Yes, I got to climb Dunn River Falls as part of the excursion!
Old November 16th, 2000, 01:58 AM
First Mate

Ug,

Do you remember the name of the company who offered the excursion? If you do, I'm sure I could find them on line. After cruising to Alaska this past summer with my son, $68 seems very cheap! We're traveling on Celebrity (Century).

Thanks, Judy
Old November 29th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from our cruise on the Galaxy. The kayaking in St. Thomas was great--one of the best excursions we've ever taken. I think the cost was $68. It was a little bit strenuous, but all on quiet water--in the mangrove lagoon--although one guy snuck a bit of time playing in the surf before the guides caught him and whistled him back. The snorkeling was nice--very clear water, lots of species of fish, but very little coral since it is in the lagoon and not at the coral reef offshore.

Jack
Old November 29th, 2000, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Judy, do you or your son like to snorkle? Do you think you might like to try diving? Some cruise ships offer a discover scuba excursion, recommended. If yours doesn't, you still can do it on St.Thomas at Coki Beach. Check out the web site www.cokedive.com for more info.