Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2001, 10:03 PM
brittany

Default not carribean but New Orleans!

I know this is the carribean part but my cruise also goes to New Orleans and I have no clue what to do there! last time we went to new orleans we weren't pleased at all! So any suggestions besides staying on the boat???
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2001, 11:03 AM
M. Vona

Default RE: not carribean but New Orleans!

New Orleans is a great place for a day trip. I live about an hour from there and go there all the time. Depending on what you like to do, there are a lot of options. You can catch a ride and head over to the zoo.......great zoo. If you want to stay around the pier and downtown, there is the aquarium.......really cool, and the IMAX theatre. The RiverWalk mall is pretty neat if the weather is not that great. You should go walking around Bourbon Street and Jackson Square, just to get a feel for the city. There are some very interesting sights!! Head down to the French Market if it's open.......great shopping there. And then you HAVE to hit Cafe' Du Monde for some beignets (french doughnuts) and cafe au lait (it's right there by Jackson Square).

If you have anymore questions, please just ask.

Michelle
Old January 9th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Brittany

thanks! I have been wondering for a while what we would do but it sounds like we have plenty of options! I had heard before about the cafe. I will have to write that down and make sure to go there! We will probablly also go shopping. thanks again!
Old January 10th, 2001, 11:58 AM
M. Vona

Anytime. It really is a great city!! You'll have to come back for Mardi Gras one year and REALLY experience the city!! Talk about interesting!!!
Old January 10th, 2001, 04:57 PM
brittany

lol I am sure that it is! Well as a family I don't thik we want too interesting! we need something mild that would be appropriate for the kids! thanks!
Old January 11th, 2001, 10:27 AM
M. Vona

Well, if there is anything Mardi Gras is NOT.....it's appropriate!!
I'm not sure it's appropriate even for adults!! My husband is not from here and I took him for the first time last year. He almost died laughing at the freaks!! It's hysterical......and the pictures we got!!! Geez!!

But you will love N.O. and the kids will love walking around the square. You mentioned kids.........you may not want to take them walking down Bourbon Street.....depending on the age and the kid. It's an ok street, but there are a TON of "nudey" bars that have pictures on billboards out on the street. There is also a gay men's bar that is quite open and provides some pretty disgusing views. Like I said, it depends on the ages and the kids.
Old January 14th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: not carribean but New Orleans!

Brittany-
We took a tour through "Steppin Out Tours" that last about 2 1/2 hours. She picked us up right by the port. The tour covered everything. We saw all of the main tourist spots the cemetaries, french quarter, garden district, etc. Carolyn was very knowledgeable and even showed us some other sites I requested (Real World House and Trent Reznor's Home). She dropped us off in the French Quarter where we had a wonderful dinner at Bayona. After dinner, we took in some more of the sites in the French Quarter and then walked back to the ship. It was a great day and we really felt we utilized our time well. We were able to see so much of the city and learned a great deal of it's incredible history. I would highly recommend this tour and Bayona is one of "the" places to eat in NO. Have fun!
Old January 18th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Brittany

Robyn,

You have helped me out so much! What do you recommend doing in Cozumel? Thanks!

Brittany
Old January 18th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took a cab to Chankanaab. I have read other postings that some people did not like this place. I am not one for commercialized areas and I really did not find it to be bad at all. Quite frankly, we thought it was very nice. The snorkeling was nice, there are paths you can walk through their botanical gardens, where all of the plants are marked for your reference. Swim with the Dolphins is here. Although, we did not opt to do this, you may still watch and see the dolphins too.

We left the park, went back to the ship showered and took a cab into town. It poured down rain, but we managed to walk around in the shops. I do not feel the jewelry prices are any deal whatsoever. (St. Thomas best place to buy jewelry) We were harassed everywhere (3 woman) and basically were fed up. Went to Carlos and Charlies and ate. Then returned to the ship. I would have preferred to stay longer at the beach and had dinner on the ship. But everyone likes different things.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old January 19th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Brittany

Thanks Robyn! You have been a Great help!!!!!

Brittany