Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2001, 04:00 PM
First Mate

Default Shore Excursions

My sister and I will be taking Carnival's Western Carribean cruise on Victoria in a few weeks. We are not looking for too much activity and would like to spend most of our time at ports laying out on nice beaches. We do however want to swim with dolphins in Cozumel. From reading messages on this site this is what I have learned:

Book the Dolphin swim through a different company and not Carnival. The Carnival excursion does not allow for a lot of "free" swim. I know that the other tours are more expensive and that is ok. Anyone have any suggestions and telephone or websites to find a good dolphin swim company?

For Grand Cayman, Carnival offers a day at Seven Mile Beach which is inexpensive and sounds great. Any comments?

The information that my travel agent sent on excursions in Ocho Rios does not seem to include a trip to a day at the beach (Like in Grand Cayman) Most of the excursions are touring, sailing, Dunn's River, etc. Anyone know if this is true? In case we do our own thing, can anyone reccomend a nice beach for us to visit that is safe and not too far from the pier?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Shore Excursions

Hi Debbie,
Best bet in Jamaica is do a tour or have a taxi driver take you somewhere and stick with a group, better be safe while cruising. When in Grand Cayman, you may want to go snorkel with the Sting Rays, its awesome. Have a great time!

Donnassei
Old January 9th, 2001, 11:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

We just got back Sunday, Grand Caymen by far was our favorite stop. The only problem is it's a short day with Tender rides for the Ship. If you take Carnivals Beach excursion you will be going to 7 mile beach; the hotel beach you get to use is the Beach Club. It gets crowded early so go early and have them place you chair near the water. The beach is beautiful. The taxi ride will cost you $3.00 per person per way. Also the taxi (seats 11), will wait until it's full on the way out. All shops are within easy walking distance of dock. Have a good time
Scott

Old January 10th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Scott,
wow, that beach brings back fond memories of the 5 days we spent there, had many nice hours sitting out on that beach watching the cruise ships come and go. Thanks, some great pics.

Donnassei
Old January 11th, 2001, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Debbie,

On Grand Cayman, just go to Seven Mile Beach on your own if you can't get a tour from the ship to Stingray City. It's one of the best white sand beaches in the world.

On Jamaica, I highly recommend the tour of Prospect Plantation and Dunn's River Falls if your ship offers it. The plantation tour is really fascinating. Be sure to bring a pair of Surfwalkers and a towel and to wear your swimsuit under your street clothes for the climb up the falls -- it's wonderful, cool, refreshing, good excercise, and well shaded in case you got a sunburn at a previous port of call.

Norm.
Old April 20th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Dana&James

debbie, We went to Cozumel and did the Dolphin Discovery swim with the dolphins! It was worth every penny! Once in a lifetime deal! You have a free swim, do tricks, and get kisses! You can contact them @ e-mail dolphin@cancun.rce.com.mx or check the web @ www.dolphindiscovery.com Last year the cost was $119.00 per person. You will have to pay admission into Chankanaab, which I think is about $8.00, but after the swim we had a lovely time at the park. Happy swimming!