Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2001, 04:42 PM
DawnP

Default Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Dunn River Falls?

Does anybody know if we can take a taxi and climb these falls by ourselves instead of doing the tour from the ship? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Dunn River Falls?

Hi Dawn,
Yes, you sure can, plenty of cabs at the pier. Just make sure you agree on a price before you get in the car. Its also wise to go with a small group and stick together. The falls is definately a fun thing to do in Jamaica, have fun. Oh, and also bring some water shoes or old tennis shoes. You can also rent them right there at the falls, the rocks do get slippery.

Donnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 01:51 PM
DawnP

Thanks so much for your help.
Old January 26th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dawn,
You're welcome for any tips to make your cruise that much better. BTW, what ship and when are U cruising??

Donnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Brittany

I totally agree it is MUCH better to go by yourself. We went with our tablemates and got a cab/van for all of us ALL day wherever we wanted to go for 100 $ that we split with our tablemates! It was great and cheap and I DEFINATELY recommend it! The cab drivers will be throwing prices at you all the time when you get off but just say that you won't go any over a certain amount. They Will go with what you say. It is like THE place of bargaining. No price is final! It is great! have fun!!!!!!
Old January 29th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Admiral

We recommend that you take the tour bus to the event. The thing these folks don't mention is that you get a guide that tells you the history of the country. Save money at home by eating at home - when you get the opportunity to visit a country, spend the little extra money to hear the spiel. We went on the Bremer Plantation Tour - best money we ever spent on a tour - in Jamaica. You get a guide that tells you so much about their country. If you rent a car and drive there, you learn nothing. Nobody is going to point out the nude island, Mick Jagger's Pot plantation, etc. Give the natives a little money and learn.

You won't be stuck with those stale clams that are on the boat with you at the falls - just get the heck away from them and get in with any one of another 5,000 folks that have arrived on another ship. My kids started the walk up the falls with the guide thing - holding hands, etc. They bagged that 50 feet up the falls and took off on their own which you can do.
Old January 30th, 2001, 04:52 PM
brittany

just take a cab and you lose the whole tour thing..........he will take you where you want to go and shut up or visit and tell you stuff if you like. By the way try some sugar cane and ask the cab driver to take you to a JERK CHICKEN HUT! It is the best! see ya
Old February 1st, 2001, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Greetings Brittany,

In your post were 2 magic words; JERK CHICKEN.

I saw a program on the travel channel where they went to a hut that sold it and even on TV it looked scrumptious. Are there several huts? Is one better than the other? If there was a jerk chicken tour I'd probably take it.
My wife and I will be taking the Vision of the Seas March 23 2001 and I am dying for some jerk chicken.

Please provide me with any and all info on this delight.
Thanks
Bryan
Old February 3rd, 2001, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob

agree with you will. also agree that the plantation tour is wonderful! highly recommended.
Old February 26th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Steve R.

We did Dunns river falls 2 years ago with a tour group. Mistake!. If you need to go there, take a taxi. My sister did the trip months before I did and did the taxi thing and for 20 dollars a person (4) they had the taxi nearly all day. The falls are a cattle drive I felt. If you were there by your self or with a few friends it would be beautiful. But there were hundreds of folks there when we got there and I am sure that they all felt a little like cattle. Also, everyone in Jamaica wants a tip and they will bleed their heart out for it. We went on Carnival (Paridise) and had a blast in all the rest of the Western Carribean, but we felt let down by Jamaica.