Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2001, 08:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Default what to do in cozemel/cayman islands?

my wife and i are taking a cruise to the cayman islands and cozemel and would like some insight and information on the best things to do at each port. does the cruise ship (Carnival Jubilee) offer activities at port or do you need to book activities ahead of time? what are the best websites to visit to learn more about these ports/activities? we have read a little about xcaret in cozemel and stingray city in cayman islands. are these worth the money? any information you may provide will be appreciated. thank you.

kevin
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2001, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: what to do in cozemel/cayman islands?

Kevin,
Yes, its worth the money to do Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman either on your own or through the cruise line. You may also want to do Dunns River Falls in Cozumel, its fun. Here is a link to a company that you may be able to book your tours ahead of time, I understand they are very good:

<http://www.portpromotions.com/>

Donnassei
Old February 4th, 2001, 01:00 AM
brittany

Just a little note, Dunn River Falls is in Jamaica not in Cozumel! Have fun anyways! See ya
Old February 4th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Ug

Default Hey Donna, when they move Dunn River Falls to Cozu

Lots of great things to do in both Ports Kevin. I'd suggest finding something more specific about what you would like to do, then come here for the answers.

The Sting Ray swim is DEFINITELY worth doing. It's one of the cheaper excursions through the ship $33-$34. It can be had for $25. or less if you book on your own. For $50. will get you the swim and a tour of the Island.

Cozumel, I would highly recommend going to Chankanaab Pk. early, then head downtown for the afternoon.
Old February 4th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hey Donna, when they move Dunn River Falls to

Hi Ug and all,
Glad you caught that, don't know what I was thinking?? I do know that Dunns River is in Jamaica, sorry for that folks Great suggestions BTW Ug, thanks.

Donnassei
Old February 4th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

thank you for the help. i have another question. do you get to explore coral reefs in stingray city or do you just see stingrays? the stingrays sound great but i would like to see more than that. thank you for your help.

kevin
Old February 4th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Hi Kevin,
There are different tours that you can do, some that go other places including Sting Ray City and some that just do that. You will have to check your shore excersion information. Just don't miss the sting rays, they are something you just have to see and since its mostly on a sand bar, not much else to see, enjoy.

Donnassei
Old February 5th, 2001, 09:14 PM
First Mate

My wife would tell you to go on the "Party Boat" at Cozemel. , hence the start of her love with rum punch.

We did the Sting Ray deal in the Grand Caymen and it was fantastic. I brought one of those disposable underwater cameras and the pictures came out great!
Old February 6th, 2001, 02:24 PM
M. Vona

Kevin.........In Cozumel, we rented our own Chevy Tracker and headed out. Freddie at the downtown Alamo will give you the best deal.....$45. We headed to the East side of the island first and found a Mayan ruin park. It was pretty cool and not crowded. Then we found the best little restaurant on the East side.....Coconuts. It's a hut on a bluff over looking the ocean and doesn't even have electricity. They cook over an open flame....probably the best shrimp fajitas I've ever eaten!!

If we would have went snorkeling, we would have gone to Dzul Ha beach club. I read on a Cozumel website that that is a VERY cool place to snorkel and doesn't get a lot of cruise people. There's no charge....they just ask that you purchase either a drink or food out of courtesy.

Shopping is much better off the main drag. People will bargain more with you there. However, the better quality t-shirts are on the main strip.

We were just in Cozumel last week aboard the Celebration and absolutely loved it!!! If you have any questions, I'll certainly try to answer them.

Michelle
Old February 11th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Kevin,

Cozumel has one of the best Mexican Folkloric Shows that I have seen anywhere. It's definitely worth the hour to see it. There are some excursions that combine it with other attractions, too, like the Mayan ruins at San Gersavio (on the island). The ruins at San Gersavio are not as extensive as those at Tulum but probably a lot more significant because the island is a sacred place in the Mayan native religion. If you want an all-day trip, the ruins at Tulum are fascinating and I hear that the eco-archeological park at Ex Caret is worthwhile, too, but both of these attactions are on the mainland.

Stingray City gets rave reviews, but it's not the only unique attraction on Grand Cayman. The island's Seven Mile Beach (which really is only 5 1/2 miles long) is one of the best in the world. The "Sea and See" tour a cruise to visit the wrecks of the SS Callie and the SS Balboa and several reefs in a "semisubmersible craft" (during which you also will get to see a lot of marine life including stingrays and sea turtles in their natural habitat) with a tour to the famous rock formation at Hell (it looks volcanic, but it's really limestone that algae have eroded to razor sharpness and blackened) and the world's only sea turtle farm (yes, they actually raise the creatures for human consumption). Additionally, the capital and free port of George Town offers the best duty-free shopping in the Caribbean right by the tender pier. Most of the shops there offer quality merchandise at fair prices. Beware that prices in the Cayman Islands might sound deceptively low, though, as the Cayman Islands dollar is pegged at $1.25. Thus, you will need to add 25% to all quoted prices for currency conversion.

While you are in George Town's shopping district on Grand Cayman, be sure to stop by the rum cake stand and sample their flavored rum cakes, which make excellent souvenirs. The coconut rum cake is my favorite!

Norm.
Old February 12th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the information! it really helped.
Old February 17th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Ilya

Gr. Cayman

Old February 17th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Ilya

Gr. Cayman

Old February 17th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Ilya

Gr. Cayman

Old February 17th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Ilya

Cozumel

Old February 17th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Ilya

Cozumel
Old February 17th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Paul Beardmore

Kevin -

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel. This place is VERY well done - nice beachs, snorkeling, and for an extra fee, you can swim with the dolphins.

Additionally, Cozumel has a great party place in Carlos N Charlies. This is not just for the younger crowd, but for the middle age group as well. They play music from the 1970's to present, and play all of the popular, fun party songs - not the trendy club music. The staff there ensures that you will have a blast, if that is what you are into. Get a group together from your ship and plan on going here - you'll have a great time.

I recommend taking a cab to Dolphin Discovery in the morning, and going back to the main strip (near where the ship docks) and finishing the day at Carlos N Charlies - the absolute perfect day!

Regards,
Paul
Old March 5th, 2001, 01:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Recommend doing your own tour to Punta Celarain. A neat,kinda jungly ecological preserve with a lighthouse you can climb to top. $10pp admission