Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Staci

Default Which Mayan Ruins in Cozumel???

My husband and I really had our heart set on seeing some Mayan ruins while in Cozumel - but I got the cruise docs today and saw that Chichen Itza was by plane and quite costly. Given the 3 choices: Chichen Itza, Tulum or Xcaret which would you think would be the best choice for the money & time???

Thanks so much for any opinions you have!!!

Staci
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Which Mayan Ruins in Cozumel???

We went to Tulum on a ship's tour and it was very interesting. They will tender you to Playa del Carmen then bus you to Tulum. I understand Xaceret is nice too, but that may be an all day excursion, where as Tulum should only be about 3/4 of the day with plenty of time left to shop and relax once back in Cozumel. Don't miss Poncho's Back Yard for a cool refreshing drink. Strolling Mariarchi's and all.
Bon Voyage. p.s. If you bring a Video Camera, there is a fee at Tulum.
Old February 27th, 2001, 12:39 AM
First Mate

We did Tulum and we were not diappointed. We talked alot with our tour guide as we sat in the front of the bus and learned the most from him. The ruins were amazing and beautiful. I haven't seen the others, but I know we enjoyed the trip we took. Good luck!
Old March 1st, 2001, 12:29 PM
Passenger

I spent a week in Cancun a year ago February and spent a day each at Chichen Itza and Xcaret. Both were awesome experiences but we had the advantage of a full day at both places because we didn't have to get back to a ship. Xcaret allows you to have beach time, do dolphin swims, snorkel in underground rivers, and see Mayan villages and ball games. Chichen Itza is more impressive than Tulum but much more costly as you noted. I would decide if you prefer ruins (and shopping time if you do Tulum) or water sports if you do Xcaret then your choice is made.
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just visited Tulum from the Ecstasy in Feb. It was an easy bus ride to the ruins and then we had about 2 hours at the ruins. The first hour was a guided tour. Our guide explained what the various buildings were used for and some of the culture and daily life of the city. The views behind the main temple or "castillo" are magnificent. As we were heding back to the bus, we had the unexpected pleasure of seeing the "birdmen". Men are suspended from a pole by ropes tied to their feet, then as the ropes unwind from the pole they descend to the ground. Really neat. If you would like to see my photos go to <http://www.clubphoto.com> On the right side in the box for invited guests type my email <jebl@prodigy.net>.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.

Judy