Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ocean Kayaking & Dunn's Falls Excursion?

Has anyone done the Ocean Kayaking & Dunn's Falls Excursion? It looks wonderful in the brochure, but wanted some first hand input. There will be 4 adults, all of us are in good shape. We will be cruising in two weeks!

Any ideas for better excursions in Ocho Rios? We hate to shop and aren't big on crowds (although would endure to see the falls).

Laura
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2001, 07:49 PM
hockeymom

Default Re: Ocean Kayaking & Dunn's Falls Excursion?

This is the excursion my son and I want to take in August. Please let me know if you go on it!

Judy
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Ug

Default Did it back in October, Loved it!!

This turned out to be probably the most incredible excursion I did of the 3 (Swam with Dolphins in Cozumel, Sting Ray in Grand Cayman). Starts out with them picking you up at the ship and taking you to the Falls, the Falls are beautiful but its such a tourist trap and your fighting other groups all the way up the falls. Personally, it's Great to do once, but think twice about doing again.

The Kayaking on the other hand started out slow, I was with one of the Guides and we stayed near the back of the pack for the first part of the kayaking (we were there in case of anyone gettting in trouble, they also have a motorized boat following the group. Hafway through the Kayaking, we stopped at the James Bond "Dr. No" Beach. It's beautiful, and quiet. They gave us Sugar Cane, and picked Almonds off the trees for us. We then explored the Beach, checked out a cave.

When we got back to the Kayaks they asked me to switch to a Solo (I paddle at home, so I was really happy to be on my own, and at the front of the Group ;-).
This is when the Paddling got a whole lot more exciting as well. Up to this point we were paddling between a breakwater and the beach (no rell waves to speak of).
When we left this Beach we had to paddle around the point. Now going around the point was a little tricky. If you tried to stay close to shore, you would get washed up on the rocks. You had to paddle out about a half mile off shore to get around, this however put us in some 8- 10ft waves. It was a blast in the waves with these sit-on-top kayaks. Little intimadating at first, but once you realize how stable the Kayaks are, it was awesome. About 7-8 Kayaks played for about 30 minutes in these waves (Surfing them). The rest of the Kayaks tried sticking close to shore, that was a mistake. I was in the group playing in the waves so I really didn't see what was going on behind us. When we got in and turned to saee where the others were, there were4-5 kayaks flipped, one was even washed up on the Rocks. They ended up rescuing about half a dozen kayaks. It took them about an hour (after we had gotten to shore) to get everyone back. Some of these people weren't too impressed with the excursion, one lady got a good scrape from the Coral.

We were told that this was about the roughest water conditions they would go out in. Personally, I loved it and so did about half of the group. Other half weren't as happy with it. The only really suggestion I could have for ya, if your intimidated by Water don't do this. If you like the water and don't mind a little adventure (lot depends on the Water conditions the day you do it), this Tour is for you.

Any questions just give me a shout!
Old March 8th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Did it back in October, Loved it!! - Some Ques

You mentioned all the excursions we are planning. I want to also do the Stingray/Snorkeling combo in Grand Cayman and the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel. Any input on those? I have the Dolphin swim arranged through Dolphin Discovery and it is pretty pricey ($119 each) so if that was a real bomb I'd love to know.

Thanks, I can hardly wait! 9 more days!
Old March 8th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Tewtey

Default Re: Ocean Kayaking & Dunn's Falls Excursion?

We did this tour this past July when we were on the Carnival Triumph. It was the best excursion we have ever done! Kayaking was fun but also was some work!! The tour consisted of a large group of people and there were no problems. We kayaked to James Bond Beach and swam and saw waterfalls for a short time. We started off at the falls-what an experience. I highly recommend this tour-we would consider doing it again!!