Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Default Belize Scuba

We just returned from a 7 day crusie on the Norwegian Wind. Our stop in Belize was a mess. First, the ship ran aground, then the weather did not cooperate. The dive operator knew the conditions were bad, 4-6 foot waves, but refused to cancel. They told us the conditions were fine. After a 2 hour boat ride that left us all soaked, as well as our equipment, we arrived at Blackbird Caye resort. We were herded into the resorts dining area while the resort managers decided what to do. They then informed us that we would not be able to get the two dives we paid for, nor would we be able to dive where we wanted. Further, they said we would have to dive on the other side of their island, another 45 minutes in their boat, and they did not know the conditions there. We decided not to risk it and stayed at the resort. It still took them over an hour to prepare as they did not have tanks ready. Those of us who stayed at the resort took a stroll around the island and were shocked at the conditions there. There were old hot water heaters, bathtubs, toilet bowls, and an old pool table laying out behind their cabanas. Plus piles of other trash including cardboard boxes and plastic water bottles everywhere. This on a resort that charges $1500 a week to stay at. The bottom line; the staff of the resort was callous and indifferent, they only cared about getting paid. We wasted an entire day of our cruise in a garbage dump and had to fight with Norwegian to get our money back, which we eventually did. I would not recommend anyone taking a dive trip in Belize on Norwegian until they change excursion operators.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Belize Scuba

Sounds like the scuba trip from hell. We were on the Wind at this time last year and I remember watching the torrent of mud that the ship churned up as we approached Belize City. NOT the place to be at low tide. In my limited experience, it seems like NCL has more than it's fair share of problems with excursion operators. I hope they get their act together. We took a shore excursion that was excellent and enjoyed Belize greatly, but I'm sure that you WONT have fond memories of there, and that's a shame and a waste of your valuable vacation time.
Old March 28th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Belize Scuba

You got that right. We had excellent diving in Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The dive operators were excellent. They were well prepared, knew the conditions before we left the ship and briefed us on them. I cannot praise them enough for the excellent service they provided. We have recieved e-mails and letters from them thanking us for diving with them since our return. They are world-class acts. However, the Belize nightmare and the fight we had to get into with NCL has convinced us not to cruise with them again. Their "freestyle" cruise concept does not work as most people want to have dinner around the same time and they just don't have the capacity for that. Thus, the lines were long and we were turned away 3 times. That in itself is unacceptable and I would advise others to think twice before spending their money on an NCL cruise. Royal Caribbean is a far better line and offers much better service for the money, in my humble opinion.