Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2001, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Default Sea Sickness on Voyager Class

My wife is prone to motion sickness whenever we take a flight. This fact has made us hesitate taking a cruise for obvious reasons. In spite of the situation, we are planning a trip on RCCL Explorer of the Seas since it is the largest cruise ship afloat today. Question: Is this ship so big that motion sickness is not a factor? Or, should my wife plan on some form of medication (i.e. a "patch", a "bracelet" or other solutions)? She would prefer not to use anything unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2001, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Sea Sickness on Voyager Class

Hi Paul,
Its true, Explorer is so big you hardly feel any motion. We did have 2 rough days and although it was extremely windy on deck, not a whole lot of movement in the ship. Just in case though, you can pick up bonnine at your local pharmacy, I always have some, but so far have never needed it.

The ship is awesome, think its an excellent one to give cruising a try on, you'll love it.

Happy Cruising.

Donna
Tuesday Chat HOst
Old June 22nd, 2001, 09:31 PM
CathyG

The pursers desk will provide you with 8 sea sickness pills for free. There is no need to buy any.
Ginger also seems to work well
Old June 24th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry

Hi, Paul. I have the same problem as your wife, which is why we waited until Dec. 1999 for our first cruise. I was so afraid of seasickness that I refused to cruise for many years. We took our first cruise on the Grand, which was the largest ship at the time we made our reservations, thinking it would be the smoothest. Since that time, we have been on the Sun Princess, which is much smaller. We found the Grand to be much rockier. I think that was because the Grand was nearer the Atlantic (we did the Eastern Carribean) and it was much more windy and rough. We did the southern caribbean and Panama Canal on the Sun and everyday was almost smooth as silk. I used the Bonine and ginger tablets and was just fine on both cruises, though somewhat more tired than usual. We were very surprised since I can get sick at an IMAX movie and don't even get near one of those rides that you climb into and toss you around while showing you a movie. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it! One tip I learned from the cruise boards was to take the Bonine BEFORE you get sick because once you do, it's difficult to get well again. This year we are going on the Grandeur of the Seas and I have purchased this new electrical device that is supposed to work well. Here is the website: http://www.ewoodside.com/index.html I am hoping that this will work well without getting tired from the drugs.

Have a wonderful cruise! I bet it will soon be your favorite vacation, too.
Old June 26th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA

Hi Paul

I was on my first cruise in March on Voyager. I too was afraid of sickness (I can't do IMAX or Roller Coasters or sit in the back of a car !!)

There were 2 days with 6-8 feet swells and the ship just rocked gently, I felt my head begin to ache (always my first sign) so I took a 'tiny' bit of a dramamine. Result, no problem, no sickness, no tiredness. I think it really helped to have a cabin with a balcony so that I could always have fresh air.

Your wife will be fine I am sure, and as there will be no major discomfort you will probably be cruising often!

My daughter experienced real motion sickness on the ferry that transported us from the ship in Cozumel to the mainland in Playa del Carmen. I was OK! go figure.

Best wishes
Anita
Old June 27th, 2001, 07:13 PM
bostongal

I experienced seasickness in the form of vertigo on our cruise last year to Bermuda. We were ahead of a hurricane. I did find that taking the bonine consistently, even while in port, worked really really well. I too cannot go to IMAX movies (even with medication) - something about the head position in the seats...and riding in cars, trains, planes....forget it. There is nothing worse than being motion sick, whatever the reason! Remember that if your wife has any problems that going on deck will help as well - go out and look at the horizon, walking back and forth alittle and breathing the ocean air! Ginger tea or capsules work well for the stomach - also a drink called "Dark n Stormy" work well (I know I enjoyed them).

Have a wonderful cruise! It's now my preferred method of travel!

bostongal
Old July 7th, 2001, 12:37 AM
First Mate

Try ginger root capsules from any pharmacy or health food store.
Twice a day and no problems on the last cruise.

Paul wrote:> > My wife is prone to motion sickness whenever we take a> flight. This fact has made us hesitate taking a cruise for> obvious reasons. In spite of the situation, we are planning> a trip on RCCL Explorer of the Seas since it is the largest> cruise ship afloat today. Question: Is this ship so big> that motion sickness is not a factor? Or, should my wife> plan on some form of medication (i.e. a "patch", a "bracelet"> or other solutions)? She would prefer not to use anything> unless it is absolutely necessary.> > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.