Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Default martinique,antigua,tortola,st.thomas

can anyone suggest places to go or things to see on these islands? i am going on the ncl majesty cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Mary Lou

Default Re: martinique,antigua,tortola,st.thomas

Fred:

Awwwww Antigua.....my favorite port. It is just wonderful there. Not spoiled by commericalism. When we were there, we toured Nelson's Dockyard. It was very beautiful and interesting.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:18 PM
FrankM

Fred,

Mary Lou is correct in suggesting the tour to Nelson's Dock Yard at English Harbor for one of your shore excursions on Antigua. It is a great tour. The British Admiral Horatio Nelson was in command of English Harbor when he was a Lieutenant. That is how his name was given to the Dock Yard. It is now a pleasure boat sailing destination and hundreds of sail boats will be seen in the harbor from all over the world.

I posted 3 or 4 photos of Nelson's Dock Yard and English Harbor on this Cruisemates site "Post Your Cruise Pictures Here". Scroll back the "Older Messages" hot button 'till you reach 10/9/00. Ther you will find my messages with a description of each photo. My messages are marked "FrankM". These should give you a view of some of the sights you will see.

For your other island destinations, may I suggest the Martinque land tour to the other side of the island to the Banana Museum and the St. James Rum Distillary. This was a 4 1/2 hour bus ride and an interesting tour. At the Banana Museum, which is located on a plantation, we were versed in the growing habits of bananas and the many types of bananas. A short walking tour around the area brought us to the various banana plants. The tour guide was excellent and at the end of the tour we were treated to a taste of their Banana Liquor. Then the bus took us to the town of St. Marie and the St. James Rum Distillary and the Rum Museum. This was also excellent and also at the end of the tour we were treated to tasts of various Rum varieties made there. There is also an outdoor museum of historic Rum making equiptment. This was an excellent tour.

As for St. Thomas, I usually shop there since often, the prices are great compaired to state-side prices. Both times I have stoped there I bought a camera; a digital the first trip and a 35MM the secxond time. But, if you plan to shop there, check out the prices at home first, if you know what you want. As far as activities go, I did take a tour boat over to neighboring St. John's Island and snorkeled at Trunk Bay. That was fun. Both the boat ride from Charlotte Amalie and the jittney ride to the bay gave me great opportunities to take some terriffic photos.

Hope these comments help you plan your cruise excursions. Have a good trip.

FrankM
Old June 28th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Mary Lou

I agree with Frank about knowing prices before you shop in St. Thomas. We bought a 35mm camera this past January and when I got home I found out it wasn't that great a deal. The one advantage was that I didn't have to pay tax on it.

The last time we were in St. Thomas, we took the ferry over to St. John. An absolutely beautiful island. It is 2/3's National Forest, therefore much of its natural beauty is undisturbed.......a real treat.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old July 13th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Belinda

May I suggest "Cane Garden Bay" on the island of Tortola. I've traveled to this island many times and enjoyed myself immensely.